This is all your fault

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
and most wind up in your yard).

American Bonsai Folks....

Ruining curb appeal since.....WWII

How do you sell a house with 377 different species of wood growing all over?

Sorce

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
What is that twisty little thing in the right of pic 2?

That is a mostly dead barberry the nursery tossed in for free. I don't think it will survive but I can't bring myself to toss it until I know its good and dead.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
That is a mostly dead barberry the nursery tossed in for free. I don't think it will survive but I can't bring myself to toss it until I know its good and dead.
Well a dying tree left to it's own will likely die.. What are you planning to do about it? Looks like a damned fine piece of material if it lives. Might consider a slip into the ground in a medium shade type of area with some extra watering and TLC... Or a repot into some sand or something real free draining, maybe a shot of Neem oil or something to give it a hand dealing with the bugs or diseases it may have... That twisted little mess probably has more potential as a Bonsai than any of the others you posted. Barberry are very good subjects, pretty tough in my experience and a gnarly little base will work out quite nice for a Shohin sized tree! Give us some closer pics if you want better advice about what to do to resurrect it! Why do you say it is "mostly dead"? They bud out late... Did the nursery tell you it had issues?

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
It is truly dead, every twig is dried up and crispy. The bark on the main trunk is soggy and dark brown. There isn't a single speck of green wood anywhere under the bark. It's not surprising though, when I took it out of the pot I found fist sized chunks of clay, it probably died from root rot.

Top Bottom