Thoughts on Peter Chan? (Herons Bonsai)

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’d just like to say that my favorite tree happens to be one of @MACH5 ‘s maples. The moment I saw it I just completely fell in love with it. @Lurch if one of Peters trees sets your soul on fire in that same way and inspires you to carry on with bonsai then more power to you. 👍

We’ve all got that “oh wow” tree in our dreams, doesn’t mean it has to be the same one.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I have no dog in this fight but can say unequivocally that the Blauww juniper in question, as it looked in 1990, would have really floated my boat as a newbie 25+ years ago... but wouldn't make it onto any of my benches now or even 12 or 13 years ago. Just keeping it real for most of the folks that haven't been doing this for more then a few years.

rollwithak

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I have no dog in this fight but can say unequivocally that the Blauww juniper in question, as it looked in 1990, would have really floated my boat as a newbie 25+ years ago... but wouldn't make it onto any of my benches now or even 12 or 13 years ago. Just keeping it real for most of the folks that haven't been doing this for more then a few years.
I just continue to find humor in the fact that there is 22 pages of this discussion 😂

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
To be fair, it looks a bit different now, as it has (obviously) matured.
Here are a few detail pictures of it from today, as there seems to be some interest in the tree.
I have included some interior / closeups so that the quality of the workmanship and level of attention to detail can be seen.
I don't know who worked on it most recently, but the standard of work and apparent health here is generally consistent with trees associated with Heron's.
This is on public display in a botanic garden, so clearly not prepped for exhibition.

Attachments

• IMG_2210.jpeg
    IMG_2210.jpeg
    277.3 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_2219.jpeg
    IMG_2219.jpeg
    323.4 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_2211.jpeg
    IMG_2211.jpeg
    403.8 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_2212.jpeg
    IMG_2212.jpeg
    393.9 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_2213.jpeg
    IMG_2213.jpeg
    366.9 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_2214.jpeg
    IMG_2214.jpeg
    293.4 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_2215.jpeg
    IMG_2215.jpeg
    204.8 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_2216.jpeg
    IMG_2216.jpeg
    297.1 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_2217.jpeg
    IMG_2217.jpeg
    360.1 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
Here are a few detail pictures of it from today, as there seems to be some interest in the tree.
I have included some interior / closeups so that the quality of the workmanship and level of attention to detail can be seen.
I don't know who worked on it most recently, but the standard of work here is generally consistent with trees associated with Heron's.
I love that tree!!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
I don't know who worked on it most recently, but the standard of work and apparent health here is generally consistent with trees associated with Heron's.
This is on public display in a botanic garden, so clearly not prepped for exhibition.
You have more photos of the other trees? I would love to see them!

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
No sorry
But that’s still not relevant even if I had lol
Have you visited the nursery recently and seen the trees?
How is it not relevant to what people think of him and whether or not he is highly respected? He is. Full stop. As they say over there.

It's not like he won a raffle.

Chopsie

Shohin
Reaction score
How is it not relevant to what people think of him and whether or not he is highly respected? He is. Full stop. As they say over there.

It's not like he won a raffle.

I live over there.
We don’t use that phrase as far as I’m aware.
The trees were probably displayed at Chelsea flower show of which the Queen attends or used to.
I live approximately 45 miles away from the nursery and have visited 3 times in.28 years.
My last visit was just before Christmas, there’s some very expensively priced trees in a awful state!
I don’t dislike or have anything against Peter, I’m being honest about what I have physically seen.
I certainly wouldn’t judge his ability on who he has had his picture taken with.
My first visit I was chatting with Peter and he asked if I wanted him to show me what he would do with the tree I purchased.
I thought that was very kind and waited patiently for around 50 minutes, I left.
Again I don’t want to paint a poor picture and it’s only my point of view from my experience at the nursery and seeing what is on offer

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
go to the UK and tell Chan he sucks, go to Mt. Juliet TN and tell Bjorn he’s bullshit, go out to Oregon wherever and give Neil the double birds… talk is shit
after, let’s see your side by side gardens

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I live over there.
We don’t use that phrase as far as I’m aware.
The trees were probably displayed at Chelsea flower show of which the Queen attends or used to.
I live approximately 45 miles away from the nursery and have visited 3 times in.28 years.
My last visit was just before Christmas, there’s some very expensively priced trees in a awful state!
I don’t dislike or have anything against Peter, I’m being honest about what I have physically seen.
I certainly wouldn’t judge his ability on who he has had his picture taken with.
My first visit I was chatting with Peter and he asked if I wanted him to show me what he would do with the tree I purchased.
I thought that was very kind and waited patiently for around 50 minutes, I left.
Again I don’t want to paint a poor picture and it’s only my point of view from my experience at the nursery and seeing what is on offer
Lol wut. You went to his nursery once and couldn't afford anything so you think he's crap?

Chopsie

Shohin
Reaction score
Lol wut. You went to his nursery once and couldn't afford anything so you think he's crap?
Sorry if I have offended you somehow?
I’m not sure why you have lead to personal insults when all I gave was my opinion.
I won’t resort to bickering with you, I’ll be the adult and wish you a good day lol

Top Bottom