Tie down wire recommendation

Iconoclast

Seedling
Reaction score
I always used aluminum to tie trees in. This is how I was taught. Copper has fungicidal properties which means it can prevent the production of mycorrhizae.

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
So it wont rust.

Thank you for the information. All steel rusts. Even stainless. Timeframe is what is important. According to the American Galvanizers Association, the service life of galvanized produced within soil depends primarily upon three factors: the thickness of the zinc coating, the pH of the soil, and the amount of chlorides in the soil. Worst case you're looking at about ten years. Certainly good enough for where I'm at in development but not for others. Optimally you're looking at 50-75+ years.

For what it's worth, I learned to use galvanized wire from Ryan Neil.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thank you for the information. All steel rusts. Even stainless. Timeframe is what is important. According to the American Galvanizers Association, the service life of galvanized produced within soil depends primarily upon three factors: the thickness of the zinc coating, the pH of the soil, and the amount of chlorides in the soil. Worst case you're looking at about ten years. Certainly good enough for where I'm at in development but not for others. Optimally you're looking at 50-75+ years.

For what it's worth, I learned to use galvanized wire from Ryan Neil.
Well, I don’t use steel wire for tying in. I use aluminum. Which I learned from Boon.

Back in the day, I used copper.

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
I use aluminum.
No issues so far.
Never broke one, and use the plastic aquarium tubes for protection.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I always used aluminum to tie trees in. This is how I was taught. Copper has fungicidal properties which means it can prevent the production of mycorrhizae.

I have used copper on my pines and the soil is filled with mycorrhizae with absolutely no indication that it was being compromised.

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
At the nursery I've seen all three (steel, copper, aluminum), and I haven't noticed any negative patterns. The tip for twisting aluminum without breaking it s pretty important, glad to have that now. I'd say use whatever is cheapest or nearest. No sense in using copper wire when you could use cheaper aluminum. But no sense to buy steel wire if you already have tons of copper around. I wouldn't over complicate it, call me simple..

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
At the nursery I've seen all three (steel, copper, aluminum), and I haven't noticed any negative patterns. The tip for twisting aluminum without breaking it s pretty important, glad to have that now. I'd say use whatever is cheapest or nearest. No sense in using copper wire when you could use cheaper aluminum. But no sense to buy steel wire if you already have tons of copper around. I wouldn't over complicate it, call me simple..
I’ve seen people recommending to use steel wire for Shohin because Ryan recommends steel wire.

Really???

No doubt steel wire is stronger. But for Shohin? What Shohin tree is so top heavy it would need steel wire to be held in place?

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
🤷‍♂️ I'm pretty sure another Bonsai Heresy book could be published on wire alone. I have heard over 15 reasons for using aluminum wire on deciduous versus copper, so I use aluminum on deciduous. Someone asks me why? And I'm not sure if I'm giving them factual information but it seems well backed haha. I have also heard the copper is toxic in the soil, but Leo's debunking coincides with what I've seen first hand, zero damage. I fully understand that it's the smallest nuances that elevate trees aesthetically and health wise so I try not discount anything, but sometimes ... it seems like over thinking

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
🤷‍♂️ I'm pretty sure another Bonsai Heresy book could be published on wire alone. I have heard over 15 reasons for using aluminum wire on deciduous versus copper, so I use aluminum on deciduous. Someone asks me why? And I'm not sure if I'm giving them factual information but it seems well backed haha. I have also heard the copper is toxic in the soil, but Leo's debunking coincides with what I've seen first hand, zero damage. I fully understand that it's the smallest nuances that elevate trees aesthetically and health wise so I try not discount anything, but sometimes ... it seems like over thinking
I used copper to tie trees to pots back in the day before aluminum wire was available. It worked just fine.

Aluminum is cheaper, and works just fine, so it’s more economical.

K_10_G

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
So repotting season is upon us ! For those using aluminum, what brand or “type” ?

So far I have only been able to find framing wire that is aluminum.

K_10_G

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
just whatever I use to wire my tree. 2-3mm depending on the tree size.
Does anyone have a brand of wire they “repurpose” for bonsai. I know we use a lot of stuff that isn’t specifically made for bonsai. For example I hear of some using galvanized steel wire meant for electric fences. When I asked at the hardware store about bare aluminum wire they pointed me to the framing supply

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Does anyone have a brand of wire they “repurpose” for bonsai. I know we use a lot of stuff that isn’t specifically made for bonsai. For example I hear of some using galvanized steel wire meant for electric fences. When I asked at the hardware store about bare aluminum wire they pointed me to the framing supply
Just go to Amazon and search for “aluminum bonsai wire”. You’ll find lots.

It will be better than the stuff at your local hardware store because it will likely be painted or colored in some way, and not be silver.

You need some of all sizes, so buy a bundle.

Not only can you use it for tying trees in pots, but it’s used for wiring deciduous trees.

Sekibonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’ve seen people recommending to use steel wire for Shohin because Ryan recommends steel wire.

Really???

No doubt steel wire is stronger. But for Shohin? What Shohin tree is so top heavy it would need steel wire to be held in place?
He only recommends steel wire for larger trees. Aluminum for shohin and smaller.

I started using steel wire in 2019. No failures and my larger trees are much more secure i.e., zero movement over time which is good considering weather and goats. Had one get out and picked up a tree by the trunk... only a bit of soil loss and the tree did not budge from the pot. F@$# goats.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Use whatever is within your reach. You will figure it out.

Top Bottom