Tinyroots Akadama?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I bought what I thought were bags of Ryusen here

what arrived was a bunch of bags of Tinyroots brand akadama, the stuff people buy a small bag of at the nursery. The amount is right, but I have no idea if this akadama is any good.

Anyone use it before? Their tools are not great from my experience and before I shrug and move forward with using it I want to make sure it's considered decent, or if I should get my money back.

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I accidentally bought some of their mixes thinking I was buying fertilizer. It was my fault. Wasn’t paying close attention. The akadama in their mixes is really small and soft. Had a lot of river sand or gravel whatever people call it. Next year I am going to be repotting a maple I have that stuff in. It didn’t grow to well in it. I think it broke down really fast. I will have to see next spring though.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Return it for some of the APL mix. I have used this pre-mix with no problems. If the product represented on the website is not the product you receive, why would you NOT send it back?

Look elsewhere for quantities of straight akadama. If for no other reason than the fallout from sifting to match granular size. Appropriately sized pumice and scoria will be MUCH harder to find on the east coast at a size that will match what will be predominantly less-than-ideal sized Akadama.

You don't use Michael's pre-mixed soil at Bonsai West?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Return it for some of the APL mix. I have used this pre-mix with no problems. If the product represented on the website is not the product you receive, why would you NOT send it back?

Look elsewhere for quantities of straight akadama. If for no other reason than the fallout from sifting to match granular size. Appropriately sized pumice and scoria will be MUCH harder to find on the east coast at a size that will match what will be predominantly less-than-ideal sized Akadama.

You don't use Michael's pre-mixed soil at Bonsai West?

i did buy a bag of that once but i liked other stuff better, and then i learned more about soil

it’s funny, i met a guy who thinks it’s all a scam for bonsai places to sell stuff and said to just use whatever. so maybe i’m being too much of a try hard. but i figure if i control the variables i can, i can at least figure the other stuff out first, and the folks with the trees i like most go the akadama route, and are specific about what kind, so i am too ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Where can one buy 1/4" akadama without the fines if y'all know?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
They got back to me saying it actually is repackaged Ryusen, sounds like Bonsai Outlet may own Tinyroots too and that they do the repackaging? I have no idea. This is straight akadama though.

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I have some Tinyroots mix and it contains their akadama. A squirrel planted an acorn in it and it's been growing nicely. I also put a yardadori oak in it and it's the only one that actually survived. So far so good.

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
They got back to me saying it actually is repackaged Ryusen, sounds like Bonsai Outlet may own Tinyroots too and that they do the repackaging? I have no idea. This is straight akadama though.
Yes bonsai outlet, tiny roots, and New England Bonsai Garden are all owned by the same person. Akadama has been very difficult to get with all the issues. I was speaking with the owner this spring and he said supplies on the whole east coast were running low. He has orders in but had no idea when they would be shipped.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Yes bonsai outlet, tiny roots, and New England Bonsai Garden are all owned by the same person. Akadama has been very difficult to get with all the issues. I was speaking with the owner this spring and he said supplies on the whole east coast were running low. He has orders in but had no idea when they would be shipped.

well hey, now i know! tbh i was surprised to find it, which is why i bought it more than anything. the shohin grain is basically just top dressing.

Top Bottom