Tips on repotting both the smallest and largest of bonsai using the Mirai methodology

Reaction score
USDA Zone
My mistaked are often presented to me as a series of questions. 'That's interesting....why is that there?'....lol
There's a great sense of satisfaction in working beside a real master.
diagnosing where the derailment was and putting you in a box at the same time šŸ˜‚. Sweet n sour would be a knickname that might possibly be uttered in the back of my head at those times. I would have a large lump on my head in no time flat.

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
diagnosing where the derailment was and putting you in a box at the same time šŸ˜‚. Sweet n sour would be a knickname that might possibly be uttered in the back of my head at those times. I would have a large lump on my head in no time flat.
Lol the whole beating thing was merely a figure of speech. Instead of just saying....'this is a mistake' it helps one think back on the process of creation.
There is absolutely nothing wrong from learning from vids but learning from a pro in person is by far superior and a difficult to come by opportunity.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
So the oath lets you learn informally from someone else? I do look down on silly aspect of 1000 year old cultures, my own or others. If not, we could potentially be still performing human sacrifices like the Incas. I agree that learning in person is different than from a Video, which is different still than from an immersive experience like that of Mirai Live Pro membership or on the other end of the scale an outdated book or discovering on your own, or being hit in the head as some suggested above in this thread. It is all a personal matter of cost/benefit.
Rafael, when Ryan was at Kimuaā€™s For seven years, how do you think Kimura would have reacted if Ryan came to him and said, ā€œGee, I just watched a video of Walter Pall hedging trident maples! That technique looks pretty cool! So, I just hedged all yours!ā€

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Espec
In science if the project requires multiple advisors, there will be multiple advisors. I think it is also a bit patronizing to assume that an inexperienced person does not have the capacity to judge and learn from a multitude of sources. Some people won't, some people will. Each person should decide what works for them.
Especially when one of them has not been doing bonsai for more than a few years but comes off as knowing everything there is to know from every teacher and bonsai pro out there. Does this not sound a little like hubris?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Rafael, when Ryan was at Kimuaā€™s For seven years, how do you think Kimura would have reacted if Ryan came to him and said, ā€œGee, I just watched a video of Walter Pall hedging trident maples! That technique looks pretty cool! So, I just hedged all yours!ā€
This would have been a good reality show for sure if this can be captured on a type.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I just donā€™t understand how one can claim to be a student of another by just simply watching YouTube videos? Granted in this day and age one can go online get a college degree, and never step into a formal classroom setting. However thereā€™s the required studying, exams involved, check in requirements. One must prove that they studied by passing the exam. At the end you are provided a certificate of competition (thatā€™s basically what any diploma or degree is, just a piece of paper saying you passed).

Watching a live online video and asking a question doesnā€™t make one a student. All that says is that one watched a video, maybe even paid to watch that video, paid to ask a question. Does Ryan provide a certificate of completion for watching his videos? I donā€™t think Ryan is foolish enough to do something like that as his reputation would be online. From what I know others such as Boon or Bjorn provide classes where you MUST be present in the flesh. You work on real material, and you are critiqued on your workmanship.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I just donā€™t understand how one can claim to be a student of another by just simply watching YouTube videos? Granted in this day and age one can go online get a college degree, and never step into a formal classroom setting. However thereā€™s the required studying, exams involved, check in requirements. One must prove that they studied by passing the exam. At the end you are provided a certificate of competition (thatā€™s basically what any diploma or degree is, just a piece of paper saying you passed).

Watching a live online video and asking a question doesnā€™t make one a student. All that says is that one watched a video, maybe even paid to watch that video, paid to ask a question. Does Ryan provide a certificate of completion for watching his videos? I donā€™t think Ryan is foolish enough to do something like that as his reputation would be online. From what I know others such as Boon or Bjorn provide classes where you MUST be present in the flesh. You work on real material, and you are critiqued on your workmanship.
Very true. At end end if each Intensive class, the student at Boonā€™s receives a Completion Certificate.

When all 10 classes have been completed, AND youā€™ve passed the written test, AND you have satisfactorily completed your ā€œstylingā€ test assignment, only then do you get a Graduation Certificate.

There are only about 30 of us who have graduated from Boonā€™s Intensives.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Seems like more for some reason! :D

Mirai is probably the closest one can come to a true student-teacher situation, without actually being there (like you going to Boon intensives). It's not hands-on, though, so "students" will always be lacking that aspect. Even though I've been a member for a few years now, I don't go around calling myself a student of Ryan Neil.

JefeW

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
This turned comical. Iā€™m brand new to bonsai, but the guy who studies with a master, dedicated years to the craft in an intensive master is a true student. Watching Mirai videos (like me) and showing up to a yearly Walter Pall two day retreat does not make you a student of anything. In university, a more apt comparison is the video watcher and occasional lesson is a freshman at community college, scoping out some classes, seeing what itā€™s like. Studying with a master for 7 odd years in person is your Harvard PhD grad.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In science if the project requires multiple advisors, there will be multiple advisors. I think it is also a bit patronizing to assume that an inexperienced person does not have the capacity to judge and learn from a multitude of sources. Some people won't, some people will. Each person should decide what works for them.
OK, thank you for clarifying this for me. When I discuss who we will hire as dean for our graduate school with the board next, I will bring in your point that we should also change our supervision requirements for PhD students.

Somehow when I did my PhD a gazillion years ago I found it very nice to know there was one person who was in the lead of supervision, and the others helped out contentwise but did not try to change my mind on methodologies.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
OK, thank you for clarifying this for me. When I discuss who we will hire as dean for our graduate school with the board next, I will bring in your point that we should also change our supervision requirements for PhD students.

Somehow when I did my PhD a gazillion years ago I found it very nice to know there was one person who was in the lead of supervision, and the others helped out contentwise but did not try to change my mind on methodologies.
I think I had a total of 4 "advisers" during my PhD work (also a gazillion, or almost 30, years ago). However, 3 of them were definitely "secondary" advisers. I occasionally went to them to discuss something related to their areas of specialty, but their primary role was to read (and sign off on) my thesis and then grill me during the defense.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think I had a total of 4 "advisers" during my PhD work (also a gazillion, or almost 30, years ago). However, 3 of them were definitely "secondary" advisers. I occasionally went to them to discuss something related to their areas of specialty, but their primary role was to read (and sign off on) my thesis and then grill me during the defense.
Exactly the same here. I had a subject across 2 academic domains (spatial science & savanna ecology) and within each domain, 2 fields. I think I eventually worked with 15 people, 5 in an official role. But 1 person in charge with a final say in my supervision, with whom I set my aims and overall route towards the end. The rest were just to provide insight in their domain. But I am glad to hear that is the wrong setup. Time to learn something. Guess I am a student of Rafael now.

Mihai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks.

Thanks for the word "disingenuous" : in French, the adjective/noun ingƩnu(e) is very common, it's understood by 99% of the population. OK, 92%, but everyone senses that it has someting to do with sex and innocence.

There is no antonym to "ingƩnu(e)" in French, and the anglo-saxon appropriation of the term in its wider entrance in other parts of speech is really very pleasant to look at ;)

Thanks for monitoring this forum with such a sense of Ethics.

Thanks
Ta
Merci

Thanks.

Thanks for the word "disingenuous" : in French, the adjective/noun ingƩnu(e) is very common, it's understood by 99% of the population. OK, 92%, but everyone senses that it has someting to do with sex and innocence.

There is no antonym to "ingƩnu(e)" in French, and the anglo-saxon appropriation of the term in its wider entrance in other parts of speech is really very pleasant to look at ;)

Thanks for monitoring this forum with such a sense of Ethics.

Thanks
Ta
Merci
Dziękuję
TessekĆ¼r ederim
ChoukrĆ¢n
Obrigado
Multumesc - this one, I'm not sure,

Etc.
:)
A.K.

The 'Multumesc' is spot on. Thank you for the correct usage of a Romanian word in context :)). This thread needs more popcorn btw.

Mihai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I bet 5% of people making bonsai pots (USA)
Make vitreous pottery on purpose. 25% get lucky. And 70% ain't worth shit.

Sorce
Hey Sorce. The first and I mean FIRST thing i learned about bonsai pottery is that it needs to be completely vitrified in order to have any use. I can't imagine that there are people doing it any other way...

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey Sorce. The first and I mean FIRST thing i learned about bonsai pottery is that it needs to be completely vitrified in order to have any use. I can't imagine that there are people doing it any other way...

25% is quite a lot! šŸ¤«

Sorce

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Believe it, given the chance there are potters out there who will sell you a turd squeezed through a pasta cutter.

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Very true. At end end if each Intensive class, the student at Boonā€™s receives a Completion Certificate.

When all 10 classes have been completed, AND youā€™ve passed the written test, AND you have satisfactorily completed your ā€œstylingā€ test assignment, only then do you get a Graduation Certificate.

In the Korean case there is a National Certificate of Bonsai with three levels. In November I take the 'senior of Bonsai test'. The exam is both written and practical. It takes 3 hours.
One can only enter the exam with prior approval of a master and for the lowest level , proof of three years study. For the level I am doing 6 years of study.
There are schools that give their own 'certificates' but these are not nationally recognised because this is a regulated field here.

Overseas is different. In your case studying with Boon is a very rare opportunity to learn properly.

Just ao people know there are three different types of student in Korean bonsai.

Student: Pays money, attends group classes and is the most common type. This is considered a customer and service provider relationship in the culture here.

Disciple: (My case) Does not pay and is taught all skills on a one to one basis. Assists master when needed.

Apprentice: a very difficult position to obtain. Like a disciple but the position is paid.

Maloghurst

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
In the Korean case there is a National Certificate of Bonsai with three levels. In November I take the 'senior of Bonsai test'. The exam is both written and practical. It takes 3 hours.
One can only enter the exam with prior approval of a master and for the lowest level , proof of three years study. For the level I am doing 6 years of study.
There are schools that give their own 'certificates' but these are not nationally recognised because this is a regulated field here.

Overseas is different. In your case studying with Boon is a very rare opportunity to learn properly.

Just ao people know there are three different types of student in Korean bonsai.

Student: Pays money, attends group classes and is the most common type. This is considered a customer and service provider relationship in the culture here.

Disciple: (My case) Does not pay and is taught all skills on a one to one basis. Assists master when needed.

Apprentice: a very difficult position to obtain. Like a disciple but the position is paid.
Do you have pics of your masters work? Maybe there is another post?

Top Bottom