Tips on repotting both the smallest and largest of bonsai using the Mirai methodology

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Rafael, when Ryan was at Kimua’s For seven years, how do you think Kimura would have reacted if Ryan came to him and said, “Gee, I just watched a video of Walter Pall hedging trident maples! That technique looks pretty cool! So, I just hedged all yours!”
I guess Kimura would have replied with something like 'Mr. Neil, I just watched the chain saw massacre, his technique looks pretty cool! So, come over here'...

Silentrunning

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@Rafael Najmanovich I looked up the several definitions of student and I find that in some instances you could consider yourself a proper student. But the greater question is, why would you? In this forum you come across as a kid showing off his participation trophies to the team that just won the World Series. One of your mind numbing threads even had the audacity to go in and explain basics demonstrated by well versed artists thereby elevating yourself to a level above everyone else here. You seem to crave recognition for accomplishments to the point of obsession. The dozens, if not hundreds, of posts expressing displeasure with your braggadocios attitude should give you pause to step back and reassess your proper place on this forum. I am well able to accept my limitations regarding bonsai. I am confident enough to set back and let the more experienced here do the teaching. Your need to sit on a self proclaimed throne and dole out imaginary wisdom is a turnoff as evidenced by this and other of your threads.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Did I ever mention that I am a student of Harry Tomlinson?

You hadn't so far, but this is the second book I've bought, and it's still a book I like to browse once in a while, even if some of the tips are a bit outdated. It made me improve -at least I think so, although then there were the forums, and above all, my club where I learned more in a few months than in several years.

IMG_2697.jpg

And don't ask me why George Bain's "Celtic Art" (bought in Dundee in 1976) is in this section :D

Maloghurst

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
If you actually read the book, then in a particular sense of the word, yes you are a student of his as you learned from his teachings, only through a different medium than that of in person interactions.
Your right. You are self-taught @Rafael Najmanovich. You are a student of Bonsai because you study it. But you are not a real “student” of Ryan Neil unless he has observed and critiqued your work over an extended period of time. Enough with the semantics.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
In the sporting world, often top athletes will describe themselves as 'students of the game'. I see this a lot with footballers, ex footballers turned pundits/managers/sports or football analysts. often these guys didnt play or learn under one manager, they plied their trade under various coaches/managers.....

A student of the game is the player who only wants to get better. The player who loves instruction and correction. The player with more heart than ego. The player who does not drudge the daily practice but revels in it.
A student of the game isn’t interested in getting points for just showing up. They aren’t comfortable just wearing a uniform and sitting on the sidelines. A student of the game wants to be on the field. They love the pressure of being asked to perform at the highest levels.
Success is not always guaranteed. Sometimes you fumble the ball, sometimes you get called out for a penalty. Sometimes you get hurt. Often times you play tired, but you play and keep playing because you are driven by the love of the game.

There you are player on the field, clothes drenched in sweat, face and hands covered in dirt. The one who plays with heart, the one who’s eager to learn from mistakes. The one who’s never afraid of coming up short because the goal is not victory, neither is it defeat. It’s daring greatly. To risk it all and give it all on this field called life.

Another example:

Patrick Kane is an impressive American hockey player on the Chicago Blackhawks. He is only 25 and he has already won two Stanley Cup Championships.
I refer to Patrick because he is described by his teammates, coaches, and family members as a “student of the game”. I love this phrase. This means he puts time into not just honing his own abilities, but watching film of the great players before him, reviewing and critiquing his performance, and knows the history of hockey.
I’ve heard this locution used to describe Tiger Woods‘ appreciation of the sport of golf.
Richard Sherman, the vocal cornerback for the super bowl winning Seattle Seahawks, also gets this moniker.
There are tennis players, baseball stars, NBA elites … many examples all across the world of sports.

I really dont see what all the fuss about, if the OP sees himself as a student of the experts he follows and admires, is inspired by. then let him do his thing. he's putting in far more work than most, to be better. can't knock a trier. many of the folks replying barely even post a single piece of work.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
…….nobody looking to learn how to play hockey from Patrick Kane when he was a couple years in......

;):D:D:D:D:D:D

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
…….nobody looking to learn how to play hockey from Patrick Kane when he was a couple years in......

;):D:D:D:D:D:D

Haha i get that. granted OP is far from being an expert. he has a lot to learn of course, but seems to me like he's taking the right steps to improve his ability.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
although Ryan neil studied in Japan under Kimura. he isnt cubby holed into styling all of his deciduous trees like they do in japan. ive seen streams where he tries to mimic the growth habit or environment where that tree comes from. he does the pine styled tridents and what not and labels them as 'bonsai'. but he also styles a Tilia to look like a tilia or a beech to look like a wild beech. he's open to taking maple advice from the likes of Peter warren or carving advice from Will baddely.
i see a lot of folks who have trained under one coach for their entire time in bonsai getting cubby holed into one style or believing every tree should look like the ones their teacher taught them to do. personally that isnt my cup of tea. i like some variety

Last edited:
Top Bottom