To Shari or not??

D'Angelo

Mame
Reaction score
Hi guys!!.... I am having a hard time trying to decide if I should add some Shari to this or not, it's not like Jin work... Shari is a one shot deal. Opinions appreciated.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 83
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 89

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It would be nice to see a shot of the whole tree. Since you have such a short nub of a branch it would look better I think. Are the roots in the pic just part of the root system or a large majority? If they are a large majority I might do a smaller amount of Shari and develop it more over time.

D'Angelo

Mame
Reaction score
It would be nice to see a shot of the whole tree. Since you have such a short nub of a branch it would look better I think. Are the roots in the pic just part of the root system or a large majority? If they are a large majority I might do a smaller amount of Shari and develop it more over time.

Sorry!!... Forgot to add the important info. This tree is a procumbens juniper, 3 trees root over rock.I added a beer bottle to one of the pics for size perspective..I don't want to hear the old.." Why you wasting your time with a procumbens"... I have several varieties of junipers and I like them all, sure I prefer Shimpaku, but I like these too;)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 74
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 92

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I assume your talking about the biggest tree. Your composition has great movement and adding the sliver of white from the Shari would add to that. I think it could be a great visual addition to your work.

D'Angelo

Mame
Reaction score
I assume your talking about the biggest tree. Your composition has great movement and adding the sliver of white from the Shari would add to that. I think it could be a great visual addition to your work.

Yes I was referring to the main tree on the right, I was looking for some contrast to set it off. Thinking some Shari and some tasteful Jin work might do the trick.

John Ruger

Shohin
Reaction score
It doesn't look like a shari would "fit" with the overall composition of the tree.

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't think its thick enough to add Shari. It would make the Shari too then and make it look like the trunk could not support the tree. Nice tree by the way.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
It doesn't look like a shari would "fit" with the overall composition of the tree.

John is correct. Any kind of Jin or Shari work must, first and foremost, look like it belongs there not just something that appeared out of no where without a story behind it. From what I can tell the trunks and branches are still pretty small to visually support Jins or Sharis. Because the tree does not have enough girth it is doubtful that it possess enough heart wood to justify what you want to do. The attempt at this point may actually set the tree back.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
John is correct. Any kind of Jin or Shari work must, first and foremost, look like it belongs there not just something that appeared out of no where without a story behind it. From what I can tell the trunks and branches are still pretty small to visually support Jins or Sharis. Because the tree does not have enough girth it is doubtful that it possess enough heart wood to justify what you want to do. The attempt at this point may actually set the tree back.

My thoughts exactly Vance. On the other hand he may be interested in some shari to slow it down or stunt the development of the tree. He would have to be careful as there would not be a lot of live area to support the tree.

ed

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot
Weather it is aesthetically pleasing or not it is up to you to decide,. I personally like junipers with shari.
In japan Shari is started at around 1.5cm diameter...very small and extended yearly as the tree grows in order to give it structure (ridging)
If a double shari is made on a tree (behind and front) This makes the tree look with a thicker trunk since the cambium grows only on the sides. and creates movement in the trunk as well where there is none.

D'Angelo

Mame
Reaction score

Theres a little knob on the front of the trunk on the tree on the right , exactly where I want the Shari, you can clearly see the live veins going around this knob. The area just below the knob is deadwood and it is here that I would put shari. I don't want to risk the health of the tree so the shari would be minimal. I may wait to do this till the tree regains more vigor, it was recently re-potted and there are clearly some week areas that need attention!!

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Weather it is aesthetically pleasing or not it is up to you to decide,. I personally like junipers with shari.
In japan Shari is started at around 1.5cm diameter...very small and extended yearly as the tree grows in order to give it structure (ridging)
If a double shari is made on a tree (behind and front) This makes the tree look with a thicker trunk since the cambium grows only on the sides. and creates movement in the trunk as well where there is none.

I agree. I've seen lots of nice healthy shohin with much smaller trunk than these with shari. Note that with taller trees like yours, the stress may be magnified so yes be more careful not to compromise the structural integrity of the trunk (on top of slowly diverting sap flow).

Reaction score
I like that the trees have been grown over rock, I even don't mind
the fact that it is a procumbens, for in all actuality they make awesome
Bonsai... But, everything else I don't like.

I think your trees need a story...
They need some action, for right now they just look like
some trees plopped on a rock. They need a lot more interaction
with the rock, the foliage needs more interaction as well...
Right now I see a whole bunch of branches and negative space,
with foliage, again plopped on top...

I think you actually really could have something here... It is just
not here !!! You should go reference some of Kimura's rock plantings
for inspiration...

Good Luck, you have some nice trees, and I am sure you will end up
doing this justice. I would worry about the story first, and let it tell you
if it needs a shari or not.

Top Bottom