Jin/shari advice

Shamino

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The first of there photos below is a Shimpaku of mine, and while pleased with it, I can't decide if it would be nicer to jin the branch directly above the top trunk shari...and extend the deadwood a bit for interest. Also, can I extend the shari to connect the two (outlined in red) without damaging the tree? The bottom shari goes over the bend and down the back of the trunk to the soil. The second photo shows the changes I'm thinking about. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_3584.jpg
    IMG_3584.jpg
    364.2 KB · Views: 69
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    362.7 KB · Views: 70

ShimpakuBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
It would be nice to connect those shari and I don't think there is much of a risk doing so.
I would start connecting them with a small line (of removing the bark) and make that line larger over time.
As far as I know this can be done on Junipers year round.

Ruddigger

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
If you connect them you lose the twisting movement. I wouldnt do that, personally.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I agree with Ruddiger. A nice twisting live vein is typically what is prized on our juniper bonsai. Connecting those two Shari would eliminate that. At least from the front that you are showing us.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yea if that is live vein, I wouldn't do it for the reasons stated, you lose the twisting movement and it might compromise foliage above that it is feeding

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
If you connect them you lose the twisting movement. I wouldnt do that, personally.
Not really if he goes around the back.

White - extension of the shari, especially where I placed the red arrow.

Silver - possible trajectory in the back of the trunk. Where the blue arrows point.

I think this tree could also be compresses by guy wire on the yellow parts to remove that vertical section of the trunk into an acute angle. But that may present more issues as the next section of trunk will probably end up vertical and the apex will move over the base.

1695393774464.png

Ruddigger

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Theres no need to make it actually spiral around the back. You just need the appearance of a spiral as viewed from the front. I wouldnt bother with the guy wire, I’d repot the whole thing about 30 degrees more upright instead. That fixes the vertical section and gets the apex more centered over the base.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I agree with @Maiden69 on this. It's a good tree but I think it looks a little bit top heavy (to me anyway). Compressing it down and losing a bit off the top would be my actions. I'd be looking to reduce it to about 2/3 the height it currently is - but I'm no expert!

Top Bottom