TORONTO BONSAI SOCIETY - 2018 FALL SHOW - TORONTO, ONTARIO, CANADA - OCTOBER 13/14 2018

D

Deleted member 21616

thanks for sharing!

adrian's beni chidori!! I keep trying to talk him into taking some cuttings! he obviously isn't growing it out for me!! LOL

Attachments

• WEB_TBS_FALL2018-036.jpg
    WEB_TBS_FALL2018-036.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 11

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah, that porcelain berry caught my eye too. As did the magnolia. Don't see those too often. Lots of interesting trees, thanks for posting.

But I'm sorry...I just don't like the long branch on this larch...

larch_long.jpg

f1pt4

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That porcelain berry was superb to see in person! Thanks for posting the pics of the show!

Yeah, the porcelain berry was probably my favourite. For two reasons, pot/stand/slab/tree combo, and the fact that he was able to keep the japanese beetles off all season was impressive enough for me. They're devastating here. It was strictly done through diligent monitoring. Not pesticides.

f1pt4

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah, that porcelain berry caught my eye too. As did the magnolia. Don't see those too often. Lots of interesting trees, thanks for posting.

But I'm sorry...I just don't like the long branch on this larch...

View attachment 222852

I agree. Not my tree though. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I suppose. Even though we have a show chair, it is an open call to all members, and acceptance perameters are pretty lax. Heck even one of my trees got in.... lol. But back on point, I do agree with the lowest branch being too long. I don't remember whose tree this is, but maybe they're thickening it out a bit? I don't have an answer for you, but I'll find out who and why.

Yeah the magnolia was really nice. Same owner as the porcelain berry. It got a thorough critique at our social. I hope the suggestions get implemented and we see it again in a year or so!!

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I agree. Not my tree though. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I suppose. Even though we have a show chair, it is an open call to all members, and acceptance perameters are pretty lax. Heck even one of my trees got in.... lol. But back on point, I do agree with the lowest branch being too long. I don't remember whose tree this is, but maybe they're thickening it out a bit? I don't have an answer for you, but I'll find out who and why.

Yeah the magnolia was really nice. Same owner as the porcelain berry. It got a thorough critique at our social. I hope the suggestions get implemented and we see it again in a year or so!!

That branch on the larch looks like it's already too thick! Maybe they're using it to try to thicken the lower trunk and it will be removed/jinned at some point. I think the tree would look pretty good if the
length was reduced by 1/2, and possibly (probably?) better if it was removed completely. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with it being in the show. I'm not a believer in overly strong entrance
restrictions and would prefer to err on the side of letting people express themeselves through their trees. It was just something that caught my eye, others may well find it a good feature.

On second viewing that ginkgo caught my eye in a good way. I like the shape, it looks more "natural" than the narrow torch shapes often used. I've never really had the desire to add one to my collection
but something with a shape like that...I could see.

Some of those accent plantings are beautiful. Anyone know what plant is in the next to last image in post 7? The foliage looks a bit like hosta but the seed heads don't.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Great trees, some very original designs, and splendid colours (the red maple is outstanding).

Can you tell us more bout this one, what is it standing on ? the skull of a local antelope sub-species ? :)

web_tbs_fall2018-018-jpg.222805

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Great trees, some very original designs, and splendid colours (the red maple is outstanding).

Can you tell us more bout this one, what is it standing on ? the skull of a local antelope sub-species ? :)

web_tbs_fall2018-018-jpg.222805

Its one of Nick Lenz's compositions, from what the current owner has told me its a clay sculpture Nick made and also a collected larch by him too. Not sure if he made the head after he collected it or had it already. It also wasn't always on the slab I don't think either, but it was a super good call to plant it on one.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Yeah, the porcelain berry was probably my favourite. For two reasons, pot/stand/slab/tree combo, and the fact that he was able to keep the japanese beetles off all season was impressive enough for me. They're devastating here. It was strictly done through diligent monitoring. Not pesticides.
Im pretty sure a lot of our members are going to buy up all the porcelain berries around here because of that one! and hats off to the owner for that, not many people will give up pesticides easily

Top Bottom