TP Collected Elm

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Looking good! It's definitely coming along to the original sketch you posted, great job.
Thank you. Rodrigo. I've been looking at it and wondering what it might look in the future, if I should continue to follow what I originally had in mind. I think it's possible, but I'll keep an open mind. The end could be different as the tree develops more. I want to make sure it becomes the best tree I could help it become rather than try to make it fit the image I like during this time.

Rodrigo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Thank you. Rodrigo. I've been looking at it and wondering what it might look in the future, if I should continue to follow what I originally had in mind. I think it's possible, but I'll keep an open mind. The end could be different as the tree develops more. I want to make sure it becomes the best tree I could help it become rather than try to make it fit the image I like during this time.
In my opinion I really like the sketch and the progress you've made towards that so far. However, I do understand that it's not up to us but to the tree to decide what it wants to become. I know you'll do what's right and it'll turn out great! Keep the update posts coming, I'd like to see this develop further!

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
a n t i c i

p

a

t

i

o

n

... makin' me wait. :D
Its coming along pretty fast, actually. :cool:
Thanks! The bones forming, and I'll thread graft at least one more branch this year. As the transition from trunk after the chop blends in I may chop again. I'll check under soil right before things get going for any roots that might need work. I'd like to leave them alone this year if possible. Would rather work on roots of other things I skipped on in 2018.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Did some cleaning up in preparation for spring.
The section of trunk that grew after my chop was not my first pick.
View attachment 228150
With the thickening of the callous, I am considering a different trunk section that may be better.
View attachment 228151
View attachment 228152
I have had similar thickening in callous when using the green liquid sealant. less so if I remember to wipe of any excess and just leave a thin layer in the beginning. First observed this when working with trident and felt maybe the species was responsible. Now understand that a thicker layer of the liquid has a contributing factor. Not a problem unless one was expecting a different result.
I like your plan for the top, love the bark on this tree.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I have had similar thickening in callous when using the green liquid sealant. less so if I remember to wipe of any excess and just leave a thin layer in the beginning. First observed this when working with trident and felt maybe the species was responsible. Now understand that a thicker layer of the liquid has a contributing factor. Not a problem unless one was expecting a different result.
I like your plan for the top, love the bark on this tree.
Thank you! With that thick callous going, I think it's very safe for me to graft there. I will have to wait for a conveniently located branch to sprout up. I'm sure there will be many to pick from this year.

Hyn Patty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No, artistically I like the direction the current apex is taking the whole line of the trunk. In time it'll smooth and have a really nice taper. But if you chop it and change it to fit your new line drawing, making it change direction right there, it'll always drawn the eye to where you chopped far more so than allowing the current apex to continue to the draw the eye up more smoothly. Up to you, but I'd stick with the design flow you have now. I think the change you envision will interrupt the flow, IMO. The apex you already have curves back more naturally in the same direction without the abrupt change right /at/ the chop. *shrug* The other could also work but doesn't seem to have as natural a flow to me.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
No, artistically I like the direction the current apex is taking the whole line of the trunk. In time it'll smooth and have a really nice taper. But if you chop it and change it to fit your new line drawing, making it change direction right there, it'll always drawn the eye to where you chopped far more so than allowing the current apex to continue to the draw the eye up more smoothly. Up to you, but I'd stick with the design flow you have now. I think the change you envision will interrupt the flow, IMO. The apex you already have curves back more naturally in the same direction without the abrupt change right /at/ the chop. *shrug* The other could also work but doesn't seem to have as natural a flow to me.
I've been trying to see if I could see what you see. So I doodled ?
20190219_202912.jpg

Top Bottom