TREE ID HELP PLEASE

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I am having a bit of trouble IDing this pine. It was my mom's tree for 30+ years, then passed down to me sister in Portland, Or and now to me in NE Oregon. It has not had great care as far as repots, pruning etc. We repotted last weekend and what we found was pretty amazing. It looks like it was slip potted a number of times and the roots never raked out or trimmed at all. We finally had to cut the root ball off with a Sawzall. The one picture shows that. There are a number of branches that need back budding as they are pretty bare. The other pictures are the characteristics in hopes that someone can help with ID. Two needle pine, appears to be very healthy. Any help/advice is appreciated. Thanks!

PS: Yes and all the wire will come off and we will start over again. IMO, it is either a shore pine (Contorta, contorta) or Lodgepole (Contorta latifolia) but also might be another that I'm unaware of. Needles don't look right for Sylvester IMO.

Attachments

• IMG_5214.jpg
    IMG_5214.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_5215.jpg
    IMG_5215.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_5216.jpg
    IMG_5216.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_5217.jpg
    IMG_5217.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_5219.jpg
    IMG_5219.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_5220.jpg
    IMG_5220.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_4813.jpg
    IMG_4813.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I am having a bit of trouble IDing this pine. It was my mom's tree for 30+ years, then passed down to me sister in Portland, Or and now to me in NE Oregon. It has not had great care as far as repots, pruning etc. We repotted last weekend and what we found was pretty amazing. It looks like it was slip potted a number of times and the roots never raked out or trimmed at all. We finally had to cut the root ball off with a Sawzall. The one picture shows that. There are a number of branches that need back budding as they are pretty bare. The other pictures are the characteristics in hopes that someone can help with ID. Two needle pine, appears to be very healthy. Any help/advice is appreciated. Thanks!

PS: Yes and all the wire will come off and we will start over again. IMO, it is either a shore pine (Contorta, contorta) or Lodgepole (Contorta latifolia) but also might be another that I'm unaware of. Needles don't look right for Sylvester IMO.
Thank you. I would sure like to get some back-budding to fill in those sparse branches. I think the re-pot will help that plus sun, fertilizer and who knows what else.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I stood up on a swivel chair (yikes) and took a top picture to show branching in comparison to trunk location etc.

Attachments

• IMG_5221.jpg
    IMG_5221.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 65

R0b

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have to agree.

I just didn't want to stir the pot since ^^^
Most of the forests around my area are P sylvestris and we have a few in pots. Same needles and bark appearance to how I know them not familiar with the native US species so I could be wrong.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Thanks for the help people. I dug out the three Scots from the cold frame and the 2 year old seedlings do not have these nice needles like mom's tree. They are longer and more course. Probably mis-labeled somewhere along the line. The other one I have is probably 4-5 years old and, yes it looks like mom's tree for sure. Now the plan is to get some bud back all over the tree to fill in sparse branches. I'm thinking fertilizer and sun would be the main thing that will help that along. It was kept at my sisters in the Portland, Or area in a mostly shaded area. Any suggestion to get the growth going without long internodes would be appreciated.

Top Bottom