Trident Maple blown off shelf in the wind

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
My Trident Maple is about 18" tall with a 1" diameter trunk. The wind hardly ever blows here so it came as a surprise when it blew yesterday. The Trident Maple was blown off the shelf onto the floor and lost all of its soil except what was in the sizable root ball; it has never been repotted yet since I got it from the nursery so it is heavily root bound. I heard it when it fell, but for those of you who don't know I am disabled and unable to get our of my hospital bed without help, and since I was alone at the time, I couldn't do anything about it until my wife got home from work a few hours later. When she got here we covered the roots with some leftover nursery soil we had and watered it, which was all we could do at the time. Some Bonsai Jack inorganic bonsai soil is arriving tomorrow. So my question is whether I should just put it in the decent soil complete with its solidly packed root ball and leave it until spring to repot as I had originally planned or, considering that it lay out in the sun and wind for several hours should I go ahead and do any root work on it now--I know it is out of season--and repot it in good soil.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
That certainly seems like the most sensible solution. I was concerned about the effect the drying out had on at least the large outer roots and thought that might justify out of season repotting.

Ruddigger

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I’m not as knowledgable as some, but I would wait til spring for a proper repot as well. If you do it again now you’ll basically be bare rooting it twice in rapid succession.

As an aside, I just got home from a work trip this morning to find my stone pine knocked over from the wind and my grow bed trident maple fondling my california juniper.

D2773EE2-B466-474D-867B-DD48AD462F66.jpeg

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Roots uncovered for a few hours is rarely an issue. The smaller root tips may die back but new ones will grow quickly now that they have been covered again.
I am not sure about your definition of heavily root bound though. Soil just cannot fall out of a heavily root bound pot because the roots are packed so tight. Sounds like the original tree has been slip potted into a new pot at some stage?

I know you are a newbie and anxious to do some repotting but leave it until spring. You did the correct thing and just put soil back round the roots. Now wait for the correct repotting time so you can properly root prune and replace the soil properly.

Top Bottom