Trident Maple Seedlings Help

Reaction score
I planted Trident Maple seeds in spring, and I want to transition them to outdoors so they can go through their dormancy in the Winter. When/How should I do this?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I planted Trident Maple seeds in spring, and I want to transition them to outdoors so they can go through their dormancy in the Winter. When/How should I do this?
Your geographic location would help.

But in general, FWIW, these should have been outside months ago, as preparations for winter dormancy begin with the Summer solstice in June, as daylight times begin to decline. Shortening day lengths are a big factor in "telling" trees to start storing nutrients, etc. At this point, get them outside in partial shade in the afternoon.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

sfeagan

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
What process did you use to start your seeds? I tried starting some this year and couldn't get any to start.

Reaction score
Your geographic location would help.

But in general, FWIW, these should have been outside months ago, as preparations for winter dormancy begin with the Summer solstice in June, as daylight times begin to decline. Shortening day lengths are a big factor in "telling" trees to start storing nutrients, etc. At this point, get them outside in partial shade in the afternoon.
I am in California US. I will do that and should I put them outside permanently all that once or should I bring them inside for the night for a week?
What process did you use to start your seeds? I tried starting some this year and couldn't get any to start.
I harvested some from a random tree in a neighborhood near me in Nov/Dec and then waited till spring and soaked them in hot water and put them in a plastic bag in a damp papertowel in my fridge for a few months then I planted them in some gritty soil under a growlamp on a heating pad.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I am in California US. I will do that and should I put them outside permanently all that once or should I bring them inside for the night for a week?
I don't even understand why you would germinate trident maple indoors. They should be fully cold hardy in Ca and would grow much better outdoors, even as seedlings.
Make sure to check on water more often when they go out as they are likely to need far more than indoors. Make the transition to sun slowly. Just a bit more sun each day for a couple of weeks. Definitely no need to bring them indoors at night.

Reaction score
I don't even understand why you would germinate trident maple indoors. They should be fully cold hardy in Ca and would grow much better outdoors, even as seedlings.
Make sure to check on water more often when they go out as they are likely to need far more than indoors. Make the transition to sun slowly. Just a bit more sun each day for a couple of weeks. Definitely no need to bring them indoors at night.
Okay, will do. I grew some indoors and some outdoors and all the outdoor ones either did really poorly or died. I think it was because it gets extremely windy where I live and they were struggling because of it

Top Bottom