Trident Maple v. NINGPOENCE

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
AHHH FINALLY FOUND SEEDLINGS OF THE TRIDENT I’M HARVESTING SEED FROM!!!!!

These look great…..very thick leaves…..I am certain these will perform better since they are local to my area!!!!
Extremely rare tree in zone 7a/6b
So ready to grow a crop!!!D2BAD946-40DF-4674-B5E6-9C2A9BE340B3.jpegE90ADFC5-837E-4148-A172-2F7380B19FB3.jpeg

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
AHHH FINALLY FOUND SEEDLINGS OF THE TRIDENT I’M HARVESTING SEED FROM!!!!!

These look great…..very thick leaves…..I am certain these will perform better since they are local to my area!!!!
Extremely rare tree in zone 7a/6b
So ready to grow a crop!!!View attachment 456086View attachment 456087
😁 So when are this ones for sale??? I have only seen one rough bark trident that Brent sale, but the bark is completely different from that tree. I would definitely buy some seedlings from that tree. Hopefully they will have the same properties, if not I think some cuttings should be propagated!

Pic from Brent's site. bark and leaves.

1663589861332.png 1663589895768.png

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
😁 So when are this ones for sale??? I have only seen one rough bark trident that Brent sale, but the bark is completely different from that tree. I would definitely buy some seedlings from that tree. Hopefully they will have the same properties, if not I think some cuttings should be propagated!

Pic from Brent's site. bark and leaves.

View attachment 456139 View attachment 456140
Spring.
Moving the whole indoor operation into a 6 x12 outdoor fascility in a few weeks🙂

Also korean Hornbeam and Siberian Elm.
Will be nice @ 6 mnths indoors.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have been wanting to get a Korean hornbeam for a while, but I don't know if they will do well in TX. I know they do have some American Hornbeam (Carpinus caroliniana) in East Texas, but I can't find anything about Korean in our area.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have been wanting to get a Korean hornbeam for a while, but I don't know if they will do well in TX. I know they do have some American Hornbeam (Carpinus caroliniana) in East Texas, but I can't find anything about Korean in our area.
I believe the Coreana type are good to Zone 9

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I believe the Coreana type are good to Zone 9
I wish I could find a reliable website, I have found sites stating 5-7, and a few 5-9. But the majority of the sites I find say 5-8.

@markyscott do you know if Coreana will do well in central/south Texas? My area is 8b in Boerne, but we do get plenty of 100+ days in the summer.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
There is var. coreana and then regular turczaninowwi……..both turczaninowii…..lots of coreana in sandiego!!
Fresno too?

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I wish I could find a reliable website, I have found sites stating 5-7, and a few 5-9. But the majority of the sites I find say 5-8.

@markyscott do you know if Coreana will do well in central/south Texas? My area is 8b in Boerne, but we do get plenty of 100+ days in the summer.
I have a few that I bought as seedling from Matt O about 4 or 5 year ago. They seem to do ok if you shelter them from the sun during hot months. Mine have nice Spring flush then slowly losing leaves in the hot months... new leaves emerge but sparse and looking for the rest of the year.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
AMUR MAPLE TOO?

In Vermont today……..I may give some seeds a go!
It’s so tempting I see them in the park so I’ll see what I could grab a handful.
They look like they’re pretty well barely left on the tree they must seed in the summer or something?

It’s nice to see natural species growing around and then collect to Seeds I’m probably going to get at least a couple.DA3CA5FF-8BB6-48EF-9F28-791F9B34A030.jpeg

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
AMUR MAPLE TOO?

In Vermont today……..I may give some seeds a go!
It’s so tempting I see them in the park so I’ll see what I could grab a handful.
They look like they’re pretty well barely left on the tree they must seed in the summer or something?

It’s nice to see natural species growing around and then collect to Seeds I’m probably going to get at least a coupl

Info from Brent's site.
Deciduous shrub or small tree to 20ft. Glossy dark green leaves, red seed pods, yellow flowers, spectacular scarlet fall color. Small ornamental tree. Accepts vigorous top and root pruning making it a natural for bonsai, leaves can be reduced to under 1/2 inch. Although this species probably works best for shohin, it grows relatively fast and can be used for larger bonsai if grown out for a number of years. It responds well to trunk chops. It also begins flowering and fruiting (seeds) at a relatively young age of about five years, so larger bonsai will carry red and yellow flowers, and showy red seed pods.

Fall color from Brent.
1663770370421.png

He has 3 specimen tree for sale... to give an idea of what's possible.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Info from Brent's site.
Deciduous shrub or small tree to 20ft. Glossy dark green leaves, red seed pods, yellow flowers, spectacular scarlet fall color. Small ornamental tree. Accepts vigorous top and root pruning making it a natural for bonsai, leaves can be reduced to under 1/2 inch. Although this species probably works best for shohin, it grows relatively fast and can be used for larger bonsai if grown out for a number of years. It responds well to trunk chops. It also begins flowering and fruiting (seeds) at a relatively young age of about five years, so larger bonsai will carry red and yellow flowers, and showy red seed pods.

Fall color from Brent.
View attachment 456424

He has 3 specimen tree for sale... to give an idea of what's possible.

Check it!!!!

I just found a field of them in Vermont✌️

In a local park field with a sign that say’s mowed overy year or two?

They are actually invasive in many states up here…… I was instantly fascinated though the ones that are grown in full sun have the shortest internodes they look extremely durable and tough little trees.
I think they’re amazing so I went all out and got literally a pound of seed probably!
I’ll post in its own’s thread here shortly.
I love local handpicked seed so you can see what you’re collecting from.

An entire Meadow of them…..it was an absolute festival for me.I just got done five minutes ago.EB7209E1-7897-4852-A1D1-9758451A87BC.jpeg53CF71AA-1D93-488A-827E-DFF421CF05EC.jpegFC5EDB11-3E85-42A3-8E8E-3DB4427B95C2.jpegAB381793-3BC5-47BB-A309-6DDC3B1D79F6.jpeg

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Also, Sergio (Mach5) have a decent size one.

Top Bottom