Trident & Shishio looking.. rough?

dlquick

Seedling
Reaction score
After receiving both of these trees from a nursery, I fear for the future on both of them. First pictures are right after I unpackaged them (in a box for 4 days/received on 8/19), and second pictures are from today, just 4 days of watering twice a day (90 plus degrees/high humidity in NC). Being that they were packaged in the same box, there was quite a lot of moisture in the bag, and there was/is a white mildew like substance on their foliage (not sure if that may be killing them?).

Trident Maple 8/19
IMG_0634.jpgIMG_0635.jpg

Trident Maple 8/23
IMG_0642.jpgIMG_0643.jpg

Shishio Improved 8/19
IMG_0633.jpgIMG_0632.jpg

Shishio Improved 8/23
IMG_0641.jpgIMG_0640.jpg

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
No problem. Site them appropriately for your micro-climate and get on with it.

dlquick

Seedling
Reaction score
No problem. Site them appropriately for your micro-climate and get on with it.
Thanks! I'm totally new to maples, and wasn't sure if they should be losing foliage at this time of the year.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
They will probably loose their leaves earlier than the trees in your neighborhood due to the change in location. Next year it will about the same as the locals. Someone else will help you with sitting in NC.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
They’ll be fine next year. Just don’t let them bake out this summer. AM sun and afternoon shade is best till the heat breaks. Next year, the trident could handle full sun, my Chisho Improved gets full sun in spring and moved to shade when it gets summer hot here.

Ohmy222

Shohin
Reaction score
Agree, i think you will be fine but they could probably use some shade.

dlquick

Seedling
Reaction score
They’ll be fine next year. Just don’t let them bake out this summer. AM sun and afternoon shade is best till the heat breaks. Next year, the trident could handle full sun, my Chisho Improved gets full sun in spring and moved to shade when it gets summer hot here.
Awesome, thanks Brian! Your shishio inspired me to get my own after reviewing your threads. I really do appreciate the info!

SeanS

Omono
Reaction score
Johannesburg, South Africa (SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE)
USDA Zone
9b
They were probably under shade (or dappled sun under shade cloth) at the nursery and now aren’t quite sure how to handle the sun they’re suddenly getting. As said move them to some shade

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
The white on the leaves looks more like mineral build up than mildew. It is common where trees are watered or misted with mineralized water and water evaporates off the leaves leaving a deposit behind. It may dissolve if your water is cleaner but will be gone with the leaves when they drop.
Agree with the others that trees seem to be adjusting to a new, probably sunnier place. It will be good to provide some more shade to protect them but losing leaves this late in the season is no big problem. Just make sure to water enough to keep the roots hydrated. They are probably used to plenty of water. Trees can learn to make do with less water but not in just a few days.

Top Bottom