Ulmus Parvifolia Corticosa Monster Elm

The elm sits that way because of the heavy nebari which tend to run off to the left, as you face the tree.

Looks nice - but the contrast your photography hurts my eyeballz

I was clipping back foliage on my corticosa yesterday, and noticed...uh, well...another front. I seem to have a lot of trees with more than one front. With this tree, however, it really changes its focus. The corticosa now appears much older, much more a survivor than before.
ulmus parvifolia corticosa 5-26-16 back.jpg

I love the new front Fred. I tend to find that in many of my trees, the initial back ends up becoming the front :)

I was clipping back foliage on my corticosa yesterday, and noticed...uh, well...another front. I seem to have a lot of trees with more than one front. With this tree, however, it really changes its focus. The corticosa now appears much older, much more a survivor than before.
View attachment 106284

Beautiful Fred. I laso like this front!

I've seen enough elms in blue pots to know that I prefer that look over many others... nice work.

This is the most evocative deciduous tree I've seen in a long time. Reminds me of a lot of the old cottonwoods, elms, poplar and ash trees around the old farms here. The rugged bark, deadwood spike and "wild" nebari look powerful in an almost menacing way. Love it.

Wow, great tree, Fred! It definitely gives me inspiration and hope to get your level one day.

It's autumn now. The ulmus parvifolia corticosa has lost its leaves, but is looking anything but peaceful.

View attachment 125354

Fred, I was hoping to ask about a small corticosa that I also brought from Brent. It was in a 3" pot which I repotted immediately to a 1 gallon pot. I received it about a month ago. Would it be wise to plant it in the ground now or would it be better to let it gain size first?

Have you ever considered grafting a few branches lower down, maybe one on the outside of that first curve? It has a lot of character but some of the power seems to be reduced with branches starting that high.

It's been almost 2 years since I posted anything on this tree's progress. Well, it has been progressing, but not without significant setbacks. Shortly after my 2016 post above, the entire top of the foliage died back. Then, the following summer the elm was blown off the bench by a straight-line tornado going about 100 mph. The pot was smashed, but the tree wasn't broken, so I repotted it in this white oval. Yes, it's white. Very dirty at the moment. The elm is showing a bit of fall color.ulmus parvifolia corticosa 11-3-18 duplicate.jpg

Back
Top Bottom