Unexpected Leaf Shape on Miyasama Trident Maple?

Nikonifer

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Hi everyone!

I've had this Miyasama Trident Maple for three seasons and this is the first time in the spring it has flowered and leafed out some weird leaf shape. The leaves are more elongated and narrower without much of the iconic three-toothed trident shape.

I've attached a couple photos and hoping if someone could chime in if this is some natural process while flowering or something else. Thanks!

Photo 1: November 2020 - start of fall foliage
Photo 2: April 2021 - new leaves and flowers?!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-04-29 at 3.40.52 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-04-29 at 3.40.52 AM.png
    762.1 KB · Views: 190
  • Screen Shot 2021-04-29 at 3.41.12 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-04-29 at 3.41.12 AM.png
    465.7 KB · Views: 186

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks as though it put on a bit of growth more rapid than normal during leaf expansion.

Nikonifer

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Looks as though it put on a bit of growth more rapid than normal during leaf expansion.
Thanks for the reply. Is the rapid growth and leaf deformation normal for this cultivar?

The new leaves growing out actually look like the trident leaves now. I'm a little less worried now!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I remember seeing this name @Nikonifer the other day and admiring it's cleverness!

Sorry for the delay!

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Corrado

Mame
Reaction score
I bought this and it was suppose to be a Miyasama Trident maple. These leaves are very differant too?? Any one want to confirm this to be true or not?

Attachments

• DSCN3506.JPG
    DSCN3506.JPG
    323.1 KB · Views: 95
  • DSCN3507.JPG
    DSCN3507.JPG
    267.4 KB · Views: 82

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Here's a couple pics of mine for leaf reference. Seems as the leaf shape is irregular at times.

20210507_103150.jpg20210507_103136.jpg

Corrado

Mame
Reaction score
Wow sometimes 3 pointed lobes and other times a rounded dish looking leaf!!! OK, I think mine is authentic as the Miyasama. Maybe as it matures it will get more 3 pointed lobe shaped. Thanks for that comparison!!

Corrado

Mame
Reaction score
Dont say Sprouting. Thats usually thought of as in planted seeds sprouting from the ground. Just say formed. Yes I had many formed too last spring. So i left half on the tree to see thru the year if any would turn brown and mature , fall to the ground to sprout as in a natural process. Others I picked off in the fall when turning brown and planted in soil. Those were left out to winter and none sprouted in the spring or during winter. All failed. Please keep us informed if you try get your seeds to sprout.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I typed something else until I understood what you were referring to, good catch.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Dont say Sprouting. Thats usually thought of as in planted seeds sprouting from the ground. Just say formed. Yes I had many formed too last spring. So i left half on the tree to see thru the year if any would turn brown and mature , fall to the ground to sprout as in a natural process. Others I picked off in the fall when turning brown and planted in soil. Those were left out to winter and none sprouted in the spring or during winter. All failed. Please keep us informed if you try get your seeds to sprout.
I typed something else until I understood what you were referring to, good catch.

Top Bottom