Unglazed pots for Conifers vs glazed

dmwphoto

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I accept the fact that unglazed are the preferred pot for Conifers but am curious to know why that is? One Juniper that I purchased came in a glazed pot. Do I need to repot that into an unglazed one?
Just curious to hear thoughts on this.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I accept the fact that unglazed are the preferred pot for Conifers but am curious to know why that is? One Juniper that I purchased came in a glazed pot. Do I need to repot that into an unglazed one?
You want the pot and tree to compliment each other - like an oil painting and its frame. You can absolutely use a glazed pot with a conifer... as long as it's the right glaze and the right pot. If you buy a juniper bonsai from a big box retailer and it comes in a shiny blue glazed pot... you might decide to swap it out for something more appropriate later on.

However I am speaking about proper bonsai display aesthetics. As far as function? No - there is no difference in function between glazed and unglazed.

dmwphoto

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
You want the pot and tree to compliment each other - like an oil painting and its frame. You can absolutely use a glazed pot with a conifer... as long as it's the right glaze and the right pot.

However I am speaking about proper bonsai display aesthetics. As far as function? No - there is no difference in function between glazed and unglazed.
Thank you. That helps.

casey

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I sometimes wonder if this aesthetic guideline has been around for hundreds of years or if it's one of those relatively late fads that didn't come about until the early/middle part of the 20th century.

Seany

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
An unglazed pot should keep the media drier. Similar to terra cotta. When you glaze the clay it is no longer porous, at least not at the same surface area.

casey

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
An unglazed pot should keep the media drier. Similar to terra cotta. When you glaze the clay it is no longer porous, at least not at the same surface area.
This would mostly be true for low fired pottery like earthen ware and terracotta like you mentioned. Many mid-range stoneware and higher fired ceramic bodies like porcelain absorb negligeable amounts of water. Also, because the pots are not traditionally glazed inside, the low fired clays like terracotta would absorb tremendous amounts of water during watering, rain storms, etc.

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
For bonsai pots, you only use higher fired stoneware. If you don't, and if your pot absorbs water, it will shatter when it freezes.

Last edited:

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I sometimes wonder if this aesthetic guideline has been around for hundreds of years or if it's one of those relatively late fads that didn't come about until the early/middle part of the 20th century.
Well... you could always display a Rembrandt in a red plastic frame. Nothing stopping you. Would you consider it aesthetically pleasing? Of course, you could display an Andy Warhol in a red plastic frame, and it might feel "just right".

We have a lot of discussions about art aesthetics on this site. Ultimately - it is your tree, do what makes you happy. However if you plan on showing your tree, your odds of winning an award will be better if you understand basic tenets of art and design. If you want to break the rules - great. Just make sure you understand the rules before you break them. Many times when rules are broken it is because people don't understand the rules - or even that they are breaking them.

casey

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Well... you could always display a Rembrandt in a red plastic frame. Nothing stopping you. Would you consider it aesthetically pleasing? Of course, you could display an Andy Warhol in a red plastic frame, and it might feel "just right".

We have a lot of discussions about art aesthetics on this site. Ultimately - it is your tree, do what makes you happy. However if you plan on showing your tree, your odds of winning an award will be better if you understand basic tenets of art and design. If you want to break the rules - great. Just make sure you understand the rules before you break them. Many times when rules are broken it is because people don't understand the rules - or even that they are breaking them.
I gotcha. I'm just wondering if that "rule" is based on foundational principles of art and design, or if it's based more on recently prevailing cultural conventions.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
As someone into ceramics I think a perspective no one is considering is perhaps the ceramics ability to absorb water when unglazed which assists in drainage? 🤔 Where glaze is literally glass filling in all the small fine holes in the unglazed product.. that's my immediate thought

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I gotcha. I'm just wondering if that "rule" is based on foundational principles of art and design, or if it's based more on recently prevailing cultural conventions.
What cultural conventions are you referring to? I am referring to a pot complimenting - versus contrasting with - a tree. That is why feminine trees with smooth bark are usually paired with rounded pots with clean finishes. Gnarly old masculines pines are usually paired with angular, strong pots - and some might feature rough finishes to compliment the rough bark of the tree. Delicate fruiting or flowering trees will be paired with delicate, painted or porcelain pots - where the intense colors balance each other. I could go on and on... but the point is the two elements working together to make a whole greater than the sum of the parts. That's why I said: you can certainly have a glazed pot with a conifer... as long as it's the right pot and the right glaze. There's nothing cultural about it.

You can take this conversation to another level when you start to look at formal bonsai display (we have a dedicated forum for it). There not only do the elements have to work independently, but you have to select and arrange the elements so that they work together to tell a story, or suggest a theme. You can break lots of rules there too... as long as you understand what you are breaking. Otherwise there is a good chance that your work will look, at best, random... at worst, ignorant (un-informed).

Look at this excellent winter display by @TomB. Everything works together to tell a story/impart an emotion. No one looks at the pot and asks "is this a glazed pot or an unglazed pot" or "do these fit rules". This particular pot works perfectly for this particular tree. And this display shows someone with an excellent understanding of design. It didn't just "happen".

DSC_3410.jpeg

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Following the thread as I’m considering the next pot for my recently potted little JPN. I’ve always liked matte vs. gloss, or unglazed vs. glazed, rustic vs. w/e. As long as base width matches pot depth, I think it’s okay to choose glazed or non. My preference is unglazed.

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Following the thread as I’m considering the next pot for my recently potted little JPN. I’ve always liked matte vs. gloss, or unglazed vs. glazed, rustic vs. w/e. As long as base width matches pot depth, I think it’s okay to choose glazed or non. My preference is unglazed.
And by the way - it isn't a sin if you don't have the right pot, or want to pot your tree in a bigger pot in the short term to give it room to grow as a training pot, etc. Good trees are expensive - good pots are too. You will often see people on this site saying "the tree is currently in the wrong pot" or "I need to find a better pot for this tree". Trees change... the pot you had it in five years ago may suddenly not look as fitting, or you may just want to try something new for a change. However I'm just going to say - if you buy your tree at Home Depot and it comes in one of those square blue glazed pots - those pots aren't good for any tree that I have ever seen :) Doesn't mean to throw it out - or not use it. But just embrace its ugliness and unsuitability for anything but your beginner trees :)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
And by the way - it isn't a sin if you don't have the right pot, or want to pot your tree in a bigger pot in the short term to give it room to grow as a training pot, etc. Good trees are expensive - good pots are too. You will often see people on this site saying "the tree is currently in the wrong pot" or "I need to find a better pot for this tree". Trees change... the pot you had it in five years ago may suddenly not look as fitting, or you may just want to try something new for a change. However I'm just going to say - if you buy your tree at Home Depot and it comes in one of those square blue glazed pots - those pots aren't good for any tree that I have ever seen :) Doesn't mean to throw it out - or not use it. But just embrace its ugliness and unsuitability for anything but your beginner trees :)
You are correct. I worked at Lowe’s and the pots are as you described. I think the garden center gave us their standard little glazed pots for our workshop.

Great advice, thank you very much 🌲

Ruddigger

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Ryan Neil has put some conifers in glazed pots recently, some glazes work okay. I was planning to put my California #2 in a glazed pot, but I used it for my Wisteria instead. Breaking with tradition can be refreshing sometimes, if it’s done with some thought behind it.

Top Bottom