Urban Yamadori Azalea

Tona

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a large azalea (not sure what kind) that I can dig up. It flowers beautifully each year. I have dug many junipers but not azaleas. What is the best time of year to dig them in Southern California? Can I chop the trunk down below the foliage or do I need to leave some? It is about 4-5 inches across at about 2 inches up from the soil. Nice trunk splitting into a twin trunk tree. Any experienced help in digging azaleas would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Tona

The ones I've collected were all in early spring. I always leave a lifeline on the branches I want to keep. They never even so much as flinch. I have a couple I collected earlier this year that were about 12 feet tall. Initially I cut them to about 2 1/2 feet tall. They are about 12-18 inches tall now and absolutely covered in foliage. Good luck.

If you could wait two more weeks you should be fine. Nov. 1 and after is good to go

Well then I would just get as much of the root ball as you can and not cut back much foliage until spring.

Thanks Al,
I was hoping someone like you would chime in. I think I can pull off two more weeks.
Tona (Steve)

I'm thinkin the Monday after the Convention would be perfect.

Back
Top Bottom