Venturing out of my comfort zone

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
This is my first year overwintering a few things in the garage,(azaleas, and a beauty berry), and so far so good,I think. If I am successful with them, I am going to take a step out of the tropical/subtropical box, but stay with flowering. Any thoughts or suggestions on something not terribly challenging? Things I have been considering are Japanese Quince, Pyracantha, Flowering Crab apples, and Crepe Myrtles. Winters here, are a crapshoot. Some years they are mild, but this year we had an extended period of single digit weather, when I had to move stuff from the garage to the attic. So, it's variable year, to year.

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Quince and crabapples are pretty easy to tend, although some apple varieties are more disease prone than others. I'm not sure how crepe myrtles would do for you because they like hot summers to flower their best. In my climate, pyracantha can be troublesome, but hopefully some more local can chime in there.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well. You have to have prunus. Mume for instance!?

I like forsythia, but they are a little hard to grow into nice bonsai.

Take anlook at cotoneaster and pomegranates too

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I think Mume is just outside your zone. But hey, should definitely give one a try. I'm still on the hunt.
Mume.jpg

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have a 5 gallon Paul’s Scarlett hawthorn on the way this Spring.....going to seriously try propagating it.Even small sizes of these are cool.If I am successful I could ship you a cutting cause’ these are hard to find.
A4B3EDE8-DDA1-43C5-B60A-518F4AABCB01.jpegBBED4E85-3071-4B13-815D-298C5B750823.jpegD0793F79-DB0B-48F5-BD7A-D6C689916D70.jpeg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Hawthorns are also super rewarding to collect as well, good starting species that flowers if you start thinking about yamadori. But crab-apples, quince for sure. In a few months take note what is flowering and grows really well in your area, those will probably be your best bets.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Quince and crabapples are pretty easy to tend, although some apple varieties are more disease prone than others. I'm not sure how crepe myrtles would do for you because they like hot summers to flower their best. In my climate, pyracantha can be troublesome, but hopefully some more local can chime in there.
Our summers are plenty hot, had a week of 100 degree temps last July. We were in Florida, and it was hotter at home than there. I have a couple crepe myrtle in the landscaping that do well.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Well. You have to have prunus. Mume for instance!?

I like forsythia, but they are a little hard to grow into nice bonsai.

Take anlook at cotoneaster and pomegranates too
Thanks, I have a couple dwarf pomegranates, still in nursery containers, I've had a couple years. Doing fine with them, so far.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Hawthorns are also super rewarding to collect as well, good starting species that flowers if you start thinking about yamadori. But crab-apples, quince for sure. In a few months take note what is flowering and grows really well in your area, those will probably be your best bets.
I have a crabapple, pear, plum and cherry all in our yard, so they do well in the ground here, for sure.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Well, I for one was blown away on how much a pyracantha has to offer one with just a year on my bench. Wishing you success this spring in all that you did winter.
So, what do you do with it in the winter? From what I've read, they don't like below 40 degrees, but really shouldn't be too warm either. I guess you keep it in your cold greenhouse?

CasAH

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So, what do you do with it in the winter? From what I've read, they don't like below 40 degrees, but really shouldn't be too warm either. I guess you keep it in your cold greenhouse?

Carol, pyracantha is rated Zone 6 to 9.

Just make sure the variety you pick is hardy to Zone 6, and keep it in a garage or other protected area in Winter.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
With Pyra there are varieties that are more cold hardy than others but very common landscape here so they are good into the low 20's at least. I have never sheltered a pyracantha here. I can keep my eyes open for ya if you want. I have two in my yard with trunks 4"+ or so. I wonder if the landlord would mind if I ripped them out. :)

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I do...but surely there are cold hardy varieties. For they used to be sold up this way...until ones planted them in wrong areas of their landscape. They became hated because of poor planting locations is what my local nursery stated. To the point his supplier can't even get them for him. They just don't sell. I am a zone 5...

DrBonsai

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
You are in Zone 6, so you have slightly warmer winters than we do in the Chicago Area, but I haven't had luck with Pyracantha and Crape Myrtles. (Using Cold Hardy Varieties)
Asking fellow Bonsai Society members in our area, they said those species may require a greenhouse or heated garage for winter storage.
I have had no issues with Japanese Quince or Crab Apples using unheated garage for protected Winter Storage.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
You are in Zone 6, so you have slightly warmer winters than we do in the Chicago Area, but I haven't had luck with Pyracantha and Crape Myrtles. (Using Cold Hardy Varieties)
Asking fellow Bonsai Society members in our area, they said those species may require a greenhouse or heated garage for winter storage.
I have had no issues with Japanese Quince or Crab Apples using unheated garage for protected Winter Storage.
Definitely good to know. Normally our winters aren't nearly as harsh as yours, but this winter has been pretty brutal for my area. I'm taking baby steps here, so want to make sure and get something that has a fighting chance.

Top Bottom