Vitex agnus-castus

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Very likely not by me but with capable hands I don't see that tree as being unattainable based on the results I have already had from these. If one were to take all factors, leaf reduction, bark, back-budding, response to root work, the flexibility of young branches, flowers and yes ability to withstand 120+ in direct sun I don't think they can be beaten. I take it you have never had one @Anthony.
They probably would live down there too.

Aaron

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Clyde, Aaron we tested two types agnus catus and another I cannot remember the name of. Both came from seeds
bought at the health store.

By passed for use as the Gmelina, turned out to be more useful to us.

Wishing you guys all the best, hope to see some efforts whenever you are satisfied with the training.
Good Day
Anthony

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Clyde, Aaron we tested two types agnus catus and another I cannot remember the name of. Both came from seeds
bought at the health store.

By passed for use as the Gmelina, turned out to be more useful to us.

Wishing you guys all the best, hope to see some efforts whenever you are satisfied with the training.
Good Day
Anthony

Gmelina is another of my favorites... Love that little thing! It can also take the heat. It does not care for cold I learned the hard way.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Here's my latest project. It's not a very good video. The best feature on this tree is the bark. I do believe that it may be a different variety as the bark fissures are much deeper than normal. I will get better shots when I repot it.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
I mentioned the bark on these. I took my caliper and measured the depth of the fissures .18 inches is between 1/5" and 1/6" that's pretty deep for something that is not quite a 2" trunk. I'll post a thread about this tree it has some challenges but it has some strengths as well so who knows what it will be like in a few years. 20170304_163349.jpg 20170304_163416.jpg

JoeH

Omono
Reaction score
The Florida Citrus Arboretum, Winter Haven,Florida
USDA Zone
9B
Very likely not by me but with capable hands I don't see that tree as being unattainable based on the results I have already had from these. If one were to take all factors, leaf reduction, bark, back-budding, response to root work, the flexibility of young branches, flowers and yes ability to withstand 120+ in direct sun I don't think they can be beaten. I take it you have never had one @Anthony.
not to mention the fact that they can take transplanting really well, root from hardwood cuttings and do reduce in leaf size. Great tree for bonsai.

RobertB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
they do rot at the trunk pretty bad when larger!

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
they do rot at the trunk pretty bad when larger!

Excellent "background trees", especially if you live in an area where summers are hot : they stand the full sun and have a foliage thick enough to provide shade for other, more sensitive species like Japanese maples.

Easy to reproduce as late-winter cuttings, I had success with 3-5 mm (diameter) (five times 5 mm is one inch) cuttings, will try with much bigger ones in Feb. 2019, the 3-metre+ tree has to be pruned hard.

We'll see : if it works, good. If it doesn't, never mind.

Top Bottom