Wabi sabi thread

jaco94

Chumono
Reaction score
Thank you Jonathan, for your analysis .

I just went to your site, it is extremely interesting, well designed and we can learn a lot about your art .
You do really beautiful things, I will go back and watch it regularly.

For those who are interested in the theme, I am currently reading the book by Léonard Koren, an American architect , particularly pleasant to read.

20200813_113317.jpg

Another photo

20200813_082349.jpg

johnbaz

Mame
Reaction score
Hi

Those are beautiful pics!!

I've collected watches for more years than I care to remember, In the watch world wabi sabi (Or just wabi) is every day general wear and tear so it my have been translated more loosely, This one would be described as having wabi as the dial has been damaged by the loss of the crystal at some time in it's history, The luminous paint is totally spent and the case isn't pristeen any more, It was made in 1965 though andin better condition than me but then, I am seven years older!!
rJxS2Ja.jpg

John 👍

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I love this thread. I think it is important to clarify for many people that the aesthetic concept of Wabi-Sabi is one of imperfection and impermanence. It should bring about a subtle sense of longing and sadness. A sunset, cherry blossom time, the passing of seasons, a weathered stone, everyday items worn from use, a bonsai pot with patina :) There have been volumes written about it. At one level it is somewhat easy to understand... but very difficult to master.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Speaking for myself, I don't like ugly trees. Everything that is twisted and old and unique is not interesting just because it is distorted. Some is, some ain't. Special is different from ordinary, and ordinary is all over the place and not worthy of my attention. Wabi sabi is for the birds.

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
This is a great thread. I don't understand why Anthony would want to derail it with negative energy. Let's keep the positive energy flowing!

A ruined ancient castle. The passage of time. Death and decay, with flowers growing up from the floors of what was once full of lively people living their lives, drinking, eating, fighting, and loving.

Attachments

• f41c3393911429a535de187cf0105450.jpg
    f41c3393911429a535de187cf0105450.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 13

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The boy has grown .

I wonder to what extent this ties into a person's understanding of their own mortality? We view things around us, and in the moment it is hard to see the passage of time, and yet one day we look back and realize how much time has flown.

Places that were vibrant and alive in our youth, and now are ruins. And yet, we are still here...

(Photos from abandoned military installations where I served in my youth. Particularly striking because when I was there we kept them spotlessly clean and weed-free.)

ala.jpg

ger.jpg

Top Bottom