Wanting to repot my portucalaria afra what would be the best soil for it succulent organic or akadama, pumice, and lava?

rhawes

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I was thinking of just using succulent organic but what would be best?

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi- I like smaller sand for the succulents than bonsai soil just because they don't stay uprignt in larger particles for me. I bought a bag of the organic cactus mix that had some chemical that is supposed to help dry AND moist and it was awful for cactus and green peppers. Not sure what to use it on.
Anyway the sand - I like the big sand that is pool filter sand mixed with a big sand product from pet store. Haven't tried smallest pumice but I bet it would be great too.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I like the big sand that is pool filter sand mixed with a big sand product from pet store.

Holy crap, really, pool filter sand!? I have a couple hundred pounds of the stuff left over from replacing my sand filter, and I was just going to dump it in a dumpster. Now you have me thinking...

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Haha! Not recommending used stuff... but I know I would do it and saok it in the calcium chlorine lol

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
here is a great size sand to mix with it and it looks pretty nice together: Caribsea

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I've got Pafra potted in everything. Lava/pum, Lava Pum turface, potting soil, soil with sandy loam, perlite and peat, perlite and coir, it all works.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I just use the Miracle-Gro Cactus/succulent soil. Works fine and it's cheap.

StPaddy

Mame
Reaction score
I sprung for the superfly bonsai succulent mix and used a couple nuggets of biogold on top with a teaspoon of some old succulent fertilizer my wife had laying around that said “good for six months” on it. Mine is popping growth faster that way than anything else I have tried. I have used pumice and soil before with mixed results on a different cutting. I like to not worry about root rot on that plant and the succulent mix seems perfect. Incidentally have been having a heat wave the last week and a half and watering daily (shallow pot lots of sun) and it’s really poppin new green leaves faster with the heat.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 49

Tree-San

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Which is best? I guess that all depends on where they will live, your rainfall (if outdoors), and budget.

P. afra will grow in just about anything. Even heard of guys growing cuttings in strait Osmocote time release fertilizer pellets.

My biggest concern with P. Afra is avoiding root rot.

My area has two 'wet seasons' per year. Nevertheless, when they're living outside during the warmer months, anything that holds too much water is asking for trouble.
1-3 inches of rain per week is great for the garden, but not my dwarf jades.

I've had success with Adam Lavigne's 'supermix' from American Bonsai. Works great if you want 'ready to use', but only available in #30 screen.
He's got a blog where he tells you what's in it and, more importantly, why. https://adamaskwhy.com/2017/01/27/i-feel-so-soiled/

Alternately, I use a homebrew using locally available materials:
30% lava
30% pumice
30% crushed granite (chicken grit) <or> washed pea gravel ( clean, jasper gravel from local rivers)
15% pine bark <or> Composted Horse Manure <or> Miracle Grow Succulent Soil

Numbers are kinda rough. It's more like 1 part ea. of the first three + 1/2 part of the organic.
The composted manure is the most economical, and not too hot (high N).

Last edited:
Top Bottom