watering after slip potting

Vcent

Seedling
Reaction score
Just slip potted my recently purchased fukien tea into a larger pot. It was originally planted in top soil by the seller. I slip potted into some Qualisorb without disturbing the root ball. there is still a lot of top soil surrounding the root ball which stays very wet. The rest of the soil drains and dries very quickly. I am unsure whether I should water it based on the moisture level of the new soil (qualisorb) or the top soil that is still surrounding the roots.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Did you at least do a gentle raking of the soil around the root ball to tease out the ends of the roots?

And what is Qualisorb?

Vcent

Seedling
Reaction score
Did you at least do a gentle raking of the soil around the root ball to tease out the ends of the roots?
I didnt do any raking. I let whatever soil that wasn't held tightly by the roots fall away and planted it as is. I tried to remove small amounts with my fingers but the root ball was very dense. It filled the entire old pot it was originally in.

qualisorb is basically canadian brand DE

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I think you are going to have to be careful of watering. You want the new soil to never dry out so that the roots are encouraged to grow into it, BUT you dont want the old soil to be too wet.

So I would try to direct the water to the new soil when it is almost dry and try to keep the old soil from being too wet but youll need to make sure that it too doesnt dry out so only water that part when it needs it.

Might be easier said than done but thats the advice I have.

Vcent

Seedling
Reaction score
I think you are going to have to be careful of watering. You want the new soil to never dry out so that the roots are encouraged to grow into it, BUT you dont want the old soil to be too wet.

So I would try to direct the water to the new soil when it is almost dry and try to keep the old soil from being too wet but youll need to make sure that it too doesnt dry out so only water that part when it needs it.

Might be easier said than done but thats the advice I have.
thanks for the suggestion. I will try my best to do that. would it be a bad idea to do a complete repot right now ?

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
thanks for the suggestion. I will try my best to do that. would it be a bad idea to do a complete repot right now ?

I would just leave it alone right now. See how it responds and if it looks like its fine with what you did, do a repot next year when fuken teas are normally repotted.
I dont have any of them so I dont know when the best time is for them.

Top Bottom