What’s your latest Bonsai related purchase?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not sure how clearly you can see this 1 liter of water but after 6 hours there is a load of stuff in the bottom. Now to work out how to drain it off..I read coffee filter but that’s not working well.

View attachment 439705
Can't you siphon it off? Small tube in the water, hanging over the top, and you let gravitiy pull the water out?

Malix

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Picked up these 3 bonsai over the weekend. Still feeling super stoked.. The forest is very inspiring and is a joy to have in the garden.

The forest is trident maple
The other 2 are a pyracantha and an azalea. The latter will need rebuilding as they suffered from die back, sadly. But both have interesting trunks so I'm hoping to develop the over the coming years

Started threads for em in their respective sub forums to document em over time.

IMG_9697.jpeg

IMG_9723.jpeg

IMG_9720.jpeg

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Can't you siphon it off? Small tube in the water, hanging over the top, and you let gravitiy pull the water out?
That was a little fiddly with the container space but I also tried 2 coffee filters at once and that seems to work better…just takes an age but only leaves a very thin layer of lime in the bottom.

Adamski77

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8/9
Finally got out from lock down here in Shanghai… first destination… garden center. Hunted white pine and juniper… juniper has a lot of interesting things under the hood … just looking for now… good looking ;)

Attachments

• F4967575-F261-4D88-A39E-1648299DDFDD.jpeg
    F4967575-F261-4D88-A39E-1648299DDFDD.jpeg
    264.4 KB · Views: 44

Neo_Rokkenjima

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Got this today from @rodeolthr primarily from seeing them in this thread. Beautiful Shohin Mame JM pre-bonsai. It arrived quickly. & @19Mateo83 was dead on about the packaging, Rodeolthr could've packed a butterfly and it would come out flying. Blue pot in picture is the potential new pot, any thoughts?

That is an absolutely wonderful little tree! I may have to see what some of the people here have to offer-- I'm brand new to these forums, and only have 2 trees so far, both of which I just bought (a tiny, well-kept Serissa Japonica and a beautiful, but semi-neglected Wintergreen Boxwood. I'm also attempting a cutting from my Serissa, with a little cutting pot that I just picked up for free from my LGS. We'll see how that goes.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That is an absolutely wonderful little tree! I may have to see what some of the people here have to offer-- I'm brand new to these forums, and only have 2 trees so far, both of which I just bought (a tiny, well-kept Serissa Japonica and a beautiful, but semi-neglected Wintergreen Boxwood. I'm also attempting a cutting from my Serissa, with a little cutting pot that I just picked up for free from my LGS. We'll see how that goes.
Thank you. Welcome to the forums, I'm new myself and this Forum is filled with knowledge and experience from around the globe. Everyone I've encountered is fun and friendly, which is refreshing when learning something new. Feel free to ask questions if you have any. I like to use the search function and delve into a particular species, your serissa japonica sounds interesting.

ShimpakuBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I've been looking to buy an original Japanese copper watering can since I started with the bonsai hobby again in 2020.
But the sellers in the EU didn't have anyting in stock or the prices were really insane.

I finally found a seller in Poland who is selling them at a reasonable price (about half what you pay for it in Spain or Italy for example).
It's still an expensive watering can but I really want to have one and I couldn't affort it when I was in the bonsai hobby about 10 years ago.

I ordered an original Negishi copper long-necked watering can no.6 and I can't wait to receive the package from Poland

Negishi-Joro-No6.jpg

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I don't love ficus , but I do like my "Too Little". It was a bit too tall to fit under the lights last fall, so I cut off a couple of woody branches. They rooted like champs, just stuck them in a pot.
I have to admit, I’m becoming more and more of a ficus fan. It’s nice to have some trees that can be grown year round indoors if needed and actually put on decent growth during the winter. Plus they let me get my “bonsai fix” in during the winter months while everything else is dormant and frozen.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I have to admit, I’m becoming more and more of a ficus fan. It’s nice to have some trees that can be grown year round indoors if needed and actually put on decent growth during the winter. Plus they let me get my “bonsai fix” in during the winter months while everything else is dormant and frozen.
I guess they can be grown indoors year round, but they really enjoy the spring/summer outside.

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not sure how clearly you can see this 1 liter of water but after 6 hours there is a load of stuff in the bottom. Now to work out how to drain it off..I read coffee filter but that’s not working well.

View attachment 439705
Wow, that is crazy sediment... freeze them and cut the bottoms off?

Top Bottom