What are these bonsai pests & how to get rid of them?

Barush_x

Seed
Reaction score
Hi there!

I have already some experience with bonsai trees and been growing mine pretty successfully, however today I decided to increase my tiny collection and I have purchased 3 new trees. The place I live at has pretty terrible selection of bonsai trees (I live abroad now) and it seems that people here really don't know how to take care of the plants in the shop. So... not so surprisingly after I brought the trees home I noticed that two of those bonsai trees have some pests crawling in the soil - I noticed it when I started to pick all the old leaves that were left on the surface of the soil.

Both bonsais were clearly waaay too over-watered but I hoped that with good care I can nurse them back to good health. But since there are some pests as well, I think I have to address that too. It's so hard to say what those little bugs can be, but one looks a bit like a tick - for lack of better word, and has dark brown "linseed" color. And the second one looks also similarly, but is green/yellowish. I finally managed to capture them on camera as well : streamable.com/ezwrv and streamable.com/fns19 . Just an disclaimer - usually those pests stay buried in the soil but basically they emerge to the surface only when I lightly tapped the outer layer of the soil (when picking old leaves) but then they tried to go immediately back. They are very spooked and smart when approached by some object and wouldn’t climb onto it.

Any idea what those bugs might be and how to get rid of them in a way that wouldn't kill the bonsai as well? Internet search mostly pointed to fungus gnats, however those small bugs seemingly don't look anything like "ants" - the way fungus gnats seem to look like.

Anyway, hope that someone might maybe have the answer to this here, thanks a lot for any kind of tips!
smile.png

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Can u add your location / climatezone in your profile for future reference, Welcome to the forum!

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey, welcome to the forum.

Are the animals harming your tree in any way? Or is it healthy? If the latter, just care for it prooperly and let the animals be. insects are normal in nature and only very few to damage.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Those look like mites on the hunt for bugs to eat. Big ones!
They could be soil dwelling spiders as well, but those usually make funnel shaped webs, which they leave when the web is triggered by a bug, or a toothpick, or anything else that moves.
If the tree shows no signs of damage, there's just an ecosystem at work here. Good for you!

Barush_x

Seed
Reaction score
Can u add your location / climatezone in your profile for future reference, Welcome to the forum!

Thanks! :) I currently live in Finland but I will make sure to add it to my profile.

Last edited:

Barush_x

Seed
Reaction score
Hey, welcome to the forum.

Are the animals harming your tree in any way? Or is it healthy? If the latter, just care for it prooperly and let the animals be. insects are normal in nature and only very few to damage.

Those look like mites on the hunt for bugs to eat. Big ones!
They could be soil dwelling spiders as well, but those usually make funnel shaped webs, which they leave when the web is triggered by a bug, or a toothpick, or anything else that moves.
If the tree shows no signs of damage, there's just an ecosystem at work here. Good for you!

Oh, that’s great to hear I really hope that’s the case. However, I haven’t seen any growth progress on my trees since I brought them home from the shop. (Which was actually like 14 days ago, I written the post the same day but posted it here just on Sunday) So I’m not sure if I should take that as a sign of possible damage happening or if I’m just over-conscious about it. I read somewhere that Ligustrum (the species one of the tree I bought) is supposed to grow vigorously but so far I haven’t seen anything. ? But yeah I hope the tree is maybe just acclimatizing to the new environment and that’s it.

Top Bottom