What did you do today? Show us Pic Required

Got some help revising my wiring on this mountain hemlock. The upper apex still needs a bit more work (and a lot more growth!) but i’m stoked about the lower two.
We really should get pins for bring your own tree nights. I was in the room too.

I bent the heck out of a long strait branch on my shimpaku.

Before:
PXL_20240123_033039518.MP.jpg
After:
PXL_20240123_054723425.PORTRAIT.jpg

Got some help revising my wiring on this mountain hemlock. The upper apex still needs a bit more work (and a lot more growth!) but i’m stoked about the lower two.
Nice little guy! I ain't no expert... but isn't the apex running away to the left too much... with change of the angle?

Nice little guy! I ain't no expert... but isn't the apex running away to the left too much... with change of the angle?
This tree has a very heavy leftward motion, so that is by design, so to speak. I think it’s a little clearer when the whole trunk is exposed, as it’s currently under the rim of the soil probably another 2-4”. I also think that the proper “front” is another 5-10° counterclockwise, but that hides the elephant. Certainly one of the challenges of this tree will be synchronizing the three apices.

I put together a seed tray and sown the seeds I had soaking.

Zelkova serrata (150 out of the 400ish I bought)
Vaccinium vitis-ladea (mostly for crop and not artificial miniaturization)
Sambucus caerulea (as a trial and to grow some natives)
Paulownia catalpifolia (my dad wanted some)
Larix occidentalis (more natives...kinda)

While sowing, I noticed on of the Larix seeds is already germinated. Skipped its 30 day cold stratification period. I did have it soak in a kelp mixture for over 72 hours because life got in the way a little bit.

DSC_0675.JPG

I unpacked a package from @BrightsideB today. Thank you Robert, everything is amazing!
View attachment 525413View attachment 525414View attachment 525415View attachment 525416View attachment 525417View attachment 525419
AND…. Clay and tools so I can build my own pot.
View attachment 525420
Yes, now I know a local bonsai potter, haha!
Pic of massive Juniper. I can't decide if I'll put it in my yard or go the bonsai route20240122_170230.jpg

Foliage looks nice. Did you refine it from full on nursery stock ?
nope, collected from Vancouver Island. Many of the folks at the meeting last night commented on the tight foliage for a mountain hemlock. Hoping it doesn’t blow out as I get it healthier.

The sage and mustard seed don’t play nice together in breakfast sausage… but… sausage on a biscuit with mustard…. Now we’re talking 😉
His pork sausage (not really breakfast sausage per se) always had mustard seed, but no sage. But sausage on a biscuit with mustard 🤢. Sorry, we can't be friends.

His pork sausage (not really breakfast sausage per se) always had mustard seed, but no sage. But sausage on a biscuit with mustard 🤢. Sorry, we can't be friends.
I suppose grits and liver mush are off the Menu up there too 😂

Paid 127 bucks for this Itty bitty Chamaecyparis obtusa Split Rock cultivar at the local landscape nursery. 6 and a half ft tall if you count the root ball. Feels like I stole it, they always want insane prices for hinoki everywhere I've looked. Hand only goes half way around the trunk at the base, no graft, nice taper, foliage is dense all the way to the trunk, no inverse taper, straight trunk I'm fine with, will make a great formal upright I do believe, not sure what else I could ask for.

Was 54 degrees here today, snow hasn't even melted yet, the mud is insane, but at least I got out and shook off a bit of cabin fever.
20240123_195447.jpg
20240123_195542.jpg
20240123_195805.jpg

The sage and mustard seed don’t play nice together in breakfast sausage… but… sausage on a biscuit with mustard…. Now we’re talking 😉
I thought I was the only one who liked it with mustard (a slice of garden tomato is amazing as well if you haven't tried)

I suppose grits and liver mush are off the Menu up there too 😂
I like liver, not sure about the mush part. My dad used to cook brains (pretty good). My Grandma made kidney pie (really gross, don't eat that!). Anyway, I'm out, we're ruining this thread.

Back
Top Bottom