What do you guys think of these??

CaseyC

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cst
So I saw this at Lowes and figured I would give it a shot.. The front opens up so that you can access the plants inside, today my first day having my trees inside I closed the front so that it is like a greenhouse and with the sun beating down on it started to fog up and when I opened up the front the heat that had been inside hit me in the face as it filtered out.. Is this something that my trees would benefit from or put them in danger??

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 117
I think it would help the Ficus out (during the summer) since they like the high humidity and heat, but the other species may not like it.

You have to be careful not to cook the plants either, that commonly happens with these.

One reason that I got this is I live in Oklahoma so when I leave for work in the morning the weather will say that it's going to be such degrees outside and it will be the exact opposite.. Rain is also another thing that I am worried about.. What if I just left the big front part open for air to get in but also protect it from the rain??

One reason that I got this is I live in Oklahoma so when I leave for work in the morning the weather will say that it's going to be such degrees outside and it will be the exact opposite.. Rain is also another thing that I am worried about.. What if I just left the big front part open for air to get in but also protect it from the rain??

I've had one of these before, and when it rained the water collected on top and caused it to topple over. So not sure what you can do about that.

Isn't it about time to bring your Ficus indoors for the winter?

I have that exact same one. I like it pretty well. Mainly what I do is I zip it up in late evening so it stays nice and humid during the night, then I unzip it around 11am. If you leave it closed up during mid day in the summer the heat can get well over 100F in there so I always open mine before noon.

To keep it from falling over I put a 50lb plate (barbell) on the bottom shelf. keeps it upright even in the 60mph winds we had here last week.

It might make a good cold frame for the inter, but I don't see the need for it at all during the summer spring and fall... Of course are in completely different environments- lack of humidity is not a problem here!!

I always liked the idea of rain shelter too.You can buy poly carb panels at lowes and get creative.The table I built was a breeze,but did cost me $300.No concrete either.The poles are in sand in 6" x2' deep PVC to stabilize.I can move it if I have to.The black iron pipe is what was expensive.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 53
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 48
I've had one of these before, and when it rained the water collected on top and caused it to topple over. So not sure what you can do about that.

Isn't it about time to bring your Ficus indoors for the winter?

This was my fix for it possibly toppling over.. Used ground stakes and a little bit of rope to tie it down to the ground... Whatcha think??

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 25

Why do you need this in OK? What does it mean that temp is the exact opposite? Why do you worry about rain? This makes no sense to me...

So I saw this at Lowes and figured I would give it a shot..

I can see it being useful when secured to the ground. It can provide protection from heavy rain but if it was me I would leave the front open all day - I suspect you will have cooked trees if you don't. Would seem to me that would also double as a good cold frame in the Spring for other gardening needs.

Grimmy

I've had one of these for years for seed starting and orchids - a word of caution though, you can get some serious fungal stuff happening at night when it's zipped up and has no air circulation and higher humidity. I popped one of those small 6 inch vent fans in the bottom pointing up - problem solved.

Last edited:
I love seeing new people get into bonsai and all the weird and wacky things they tend to get into simply because they cannot control their urges to do something "bonsai" almost 24-7-----been there done that. Truth is: Have a lot of fun exploring your ideas but understand a lot of things you are going to come up with or going to try are going to be a waste of time and money. I can condescend and explain what is wrong with this and that, but why rob you of the opportunity to learn something by doing it yourself. Bonsai is like sex; half the fun is getting there.

These flimsy mini greenhouses have a shelf life of 2 seasons tops - wind, lots of rain (rust), the accidental cane, nibbling critter or football close to it and it's usually a goner ... I bought one many years ago and never again ...

These flimsy mini greenhouses have a shelf life of 2 seasons tops - wind, lots of rain (rust), the accidental cane, nibbling critter or football close to it and it's usually a goner ... I bought one many years ago and never again ...

I think they're flimsy because they're meant for light loads, not 50-80lbs of bonsai, pot and soil. I also thought that because of the light construction and casters they were meant strictly for indoors - hence why I only use them for seed starting or wintering a few small orchids. But maybe I'm wrong, did the material say these were rated for outdoor use? I don't have the instructions or box anymore...

Back
Top Bottom