What I Have Learned From Pitch Pine So Far

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Be aware bog trees can have long running roots instead of compact feeder roots and not be collectible. Please do not kill trees needlessly🤭.

jaycraig

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Late winter, early spring as buds begin to swell is the best and safest time to collect in the northeast.

Collecting so close before winter can be risky because the plant can't recover and stabilize before winter
i’ve been told early fall is also appropriate for pitch pine as it all come down too after care, appropriate shelter, heat mat if needed and not moving the trees too much to disturb the root

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
i’ve been told early fall is also appropriate for pitch pine as it all come down too after care, appropriate shelter, heat mat if needed and not moving the trees too much to disturb the root
Yes however that applies mostly to Pitch Pine where little root disturbances can occur such as a rock pocket. And of course the health of the tree. I collected a pitch pine end of May and it doing well , little root disturbance occurred and the root may had tons of fine roots. Of course I had to sacrifice the actual angle of the teee to lay the roots all down flat while it recovers. But also the heat May is an important factor .. built a best mat into a wood collection box.. layer of pumice and the specimen then fill the rest with pumice.. once temperatures dip keeping the roots around 60 degrees all winter and proving wind protection

Last edited:

jaycraig

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yes however that applies mostly to Pitch Pine where little root disturbances can occur such as a rock pocket. And of course the health of the tree. I collected a pitch pine end of May and it doing well , little root disturbance occurred and the root may had tons of fine roots. Of course I had to sacrifice the actual angle of the teee to lay the roots all down flat while it recovers. But also the heat May is an important factor .. built a best mat into a wood collection box.. layer of pumice and the specimen then fill the rest with pumice.. once temperatures dip keeping the roots around 60 degrees all winter and proving wind protection
ohhhh ok i get it now, i’ve seen first hand some of the trees here have really deep roots. so if i do collect now wouldn’t a deeper pot be preferable than a wide grow box?

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
ohhhh ok i get it now, i’ve seen first hand some of the trees here have really deep roots. so if i do collect now wouldn’t a deeper pot be preferable than a wide grow box?
You can make a wooden grow box however deep you want .. with pumice. Wood is just preferable because you an customize it to suit the root mass .. and allows for aeration and moisture holding capacity from pumice and the wood as well.

jaycraig

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You can make a wooden grow box however deep you want .. with pumice. Wood is just preferable because you an customize it to suit the root mass .. and allows for aeration and moisture holding capacity from pumice and the wood as well.
gotcha. thank you

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Late winter, early spring as buds begin to swell is the best and safest time to collect in the northeast.

Collecting so close before winter can be risky because the plant can't recover and stabilize before winter
Yes, but if you protect the newly collected tree from winds and temps below freezing you should be good should you not?

yashu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4/5
For successfully collecting PP in the fall you need to be able to collect ALL the surrounding soil with the root ball. Once the soil comes away from the roots or the roots are damaged chances are that the tree is done. Also, my experience is that the field soil should stay with the roots for more than a full season. I have lost good trees not following this😞

jaycraig

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
For successfully collecting PP in the fall you need to be able to collect ALL the surrounding soil with the root ball. Once the soil comes away from the roots or the roots are damaged chances are that the tree is done. Also, my experience is that the field soil should stay with the roots for more than a full season. I have lost good trees not following this😞
that’s heartbreaking sorry to hear my man. this will be my first fall collecting so i’ll try not to collect the more desired trees, if my logical thinking can beat my impatience

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yes, but if you protect the newly collected tree from winds and temps below freezing you should be good should you not?
It's a very delicate balance. Can't be too cold for the and cant be too warm to effect dormancy. Watering is always an issue. Since winter is around the corner, the tree will sit for months with no growth. Risky imo.

IMO it's much less risky to collect at the beginning of the growing season when the tree can actually work towards recovery.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Hmmm...I live in a different world I guess.
East coast is different, since the area is highly populated , alot of state parks , natural areas/ preserves are protected and getting permission is a arduous process(even though it has been done and I have done it).. Permission on Private land ,private organizations , local municipalities is easier route.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Depends on the state and what their regulations are

Here in NY there is no collection allowed on state lands. Actually prohibited in the regulations. I've never looked into county lands but I suspect it's the same.

I think Shogun nailed the reasons. Highly populated area, relatively less open space compared to out west most of which is designated parks and natural areas

yashu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4/5
Maine is very different. 94% of forested land is privately owned ( a small portion is owned by the state and 1.06% is federally owned). Collection can be a matter of a door knock or a phone call and a hand shake. Many people manage their land for forestry products (lumber and pulp) so careful explanation of your intent is important. Letting them know your interested in the “funky little twisted trees” that are otherwise unusable to logging goes a long way. I was out fly fishing, not collecting unfortunately, and had the opportunity to ask a logging crew if I could hypothetically “grab some small trees” and was told that they didn’t care as long as I wasn’t in an active area. They wanted the big ones, the small ones are at the mercy of the skidders. All that said, I don’t even know if they technically had the authority to grant that permission but it’s probably enough to keep me out of trouble should I be in the position of having to explain what I was doing. Anyway, that’s kind of how it works in the boonies up here. Not asking can get you a charge of timber trespass and timber theft theft or worse.

Top Bottom