What is the most common juniper seen in Greece?

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi all,
I recently visited Greece and saw a lot of juniper there. It has scale needles. Its fruits are really big. I wonder what kind of juniper it is. Thanks
781743C9-A3BB-41AC-B4E1-AC8EA41307D6.jpeg 7E599E9E-5614-43D5-859C-5F19783A9B64.jpeg

Thụ Thoại

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi all,
I recently visited Greece and saw a lot of juniper there. It has scale needles. Its fruits are really big. I wonder what kind of juniper it is. Thanks
View attachment 448144 View attachment 448145

Thụ Thoại
Hey Bonhe. Pretty sure that is a variety of cypress. Perhaps Italian Cypress?

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
As @Hartinez said, those are cypress trees. You can tell by the cones, which are shaped like little balls. I don't know exactly what kind of cypress you saw, but the native cypress in Greece is Cupressus sempervirens. Interestingly, it is one of the toughest trees out there, and will grow in very harsh conditions. It also happens to be highly resistant to fire!

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Greece does have some native phoenicean junipers but the ones on the picture are cypress.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks all for your responses.
Now I recognize it needles like my Arizona cypress . Like Greg said, it could be Cupressus sempervirens 👍
Thụ Thoại

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice you could visit there☺️. Did you collect any seed?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
Probably could be the wild form of Cupressus sempervirens, the Cupressus sempervirens horizonalis, that have a wide canopy not like the pencil cultivated form, they are great for bonsai I have a lot of them from seed, very hardy and fast growing trees

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice you could visit there☺️. Did you collect any seed?
Yeah. Greece is very nice place to visit. A lot of ocean, mountains! It is so beautiful with nice weather! Yes, I collected seeds 😊

Probably could be the wild form of Cupressus sempervirens, the Cupressus sempervirens horizonalis, that have a wide canopy not like the pencil cultivated form, they are great for bonsai I have a lot of them from seed, very hardy and fast growing trees
Thanks for information. Yes, they have wide canopy, and it is why I like it 😊
Thụ Thoại

Top Bottom