What kind is this oak?

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just collected some acorns this evening.
I wonder what kind it is. Thanks.
Bonhe

Attachments

• DSC_2413.JPG
    DSC_2413.JPG
    98.1 KB · Views: 62
  • DSC_2414.JPG
    DSC_2414.JPG
    98.3 KB · Views: 52

gergwebber

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
no idea, but where did you collect it... ie was it planted in someone's yard, or in a park, or in a drainage ditch?

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
no idea, but where did you collect it... ie was it planted in someone's yard, or in a park, or in a drainage ditch?

I collected them in the park. I didn't bring the camera to take the tree's bark. Its bark is very impressive. I will return there some times in the near future to collect more acorns and will take a picture of the bark.
Bonhe

frozenoak

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Looks like a Shingle Oak (Quercus imbricaria) to me. Not to many oaks that don't have lobes.

frozenoak

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I'll agree that if it's a Shingle Oak that it's in the wrong part of the country but the leaf growth habit and the acorn look right for it. Live Oaks tend to have pointy lobes and long acorns.

shingle_oak_leaf.JPG

shingle_oak_fruit.jpg

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I still believe Live Oak

http://www.tree-land.com/trees_live_oak.asp

View attachment 27594
View attachment 27595

http://www.clemson.edu/extension/hgic/plants/landscape/trees/hgic1014.html
View attachment 27596

"The small (1 inch) acorns are very dark when ripe, and are primary food for many wildlife species along the coast. They are produced in clusters of one to five."

http://okeechobee.ifas.ufl.edu/News columns/Local oaks.htm
View attachment 27597
Leaves of Live oaks are leathery, deep green above, and lighter in color below, The edges of the leaves are rolled downwards. Photo: Stephen Brown, UF/IFAS Lee County

View attachment 27598
Acorns of Live oaks are longer, with deeper "caps"; they will mature to a deep dark brown color. Photo: Stephen Brown, UF/IFAS Lee County

Last edited:

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd tend to agree also on the "live oak" thing, BUT the tree in question is in California.

There are several native species in California that are also called "live oak" with similar leaves and acorns. They aren't really all that related to the Quercus virginiana live oak that southerners know so well.

That said, the leaves here could be carbon copies of the leaves on my Quercus virginiana "fusiformis" live oak bonsai, as do the acorns...

Probably won't be able to tell exactly what kind of oak this is without taking the leaves and acorns to someone who is knowledgeable about California native oaks...

gergwebber

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Also, there are dozens of HYBRID oaks here. Lots of crosses between valley and coastal, etc.

and in park conditions with many of them around, your acorns will be hybrids also!!!!
that makes it way more fun btw!

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for all responses!
So, it looks like this is Live oak acorn.
This morning, I stopped by to collect more acorns and took the pictures of its bark.
Bonhe

Attachments

• DSC_2425.jpg
    DSC_2425.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC_2426.jpg
    DSC_2426.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC_2427.jpg
    DSC_2427.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 16
Top Bottom