What makes a World Class Tree?

Random User

Reaction score
Without having to jump from one web site to another, I would suggest that you go to Walter Pall's web site and look at his trees. IMHO, there is a good representation as to "world class trees" compared to "really, really, really nice trees". I don't want to put words in anyone's mouth, but I'd venture to guess that even Walter Pall would say that a percentage of his trees are not world class, and some will never be.

For my own taste though, I'd also bet that the trees I'd pick as world class today may not rank the same (in my own mind) 10-20-30-40 years from now, because people (including me) loose interest over time with the same styles, varieties, pot choices, accent plants, etc.

If all we saw was Mugo pines winning all the time, it wouldn't take long before we'd begin to approach them with a meh!, no matter what level of skill it required to design them.

IMHO, if you want a world class tree, I'd shoot to design something that no one else is designing... in other words don't mimic the trees that are winning shows now; you will never catch up, or if you do, the tastes might have changed by that time. That is why I don't like to see people asking others for design ideas in forums like these. The tree (nature), your skills, and time, will design the tree... go with what you're given and run with it. Again, I'll quote Walter Pall (and others) when they say the health of a tree is the most important aspect to this art... if the tree is healthy, it might, just might provide everything that you need to design it into a world class bonsai... if you don't cut it off or destroy it in some other fashion before its given the chance.

Personally, I'd like to see some world class bonsai shown in the smallest grow box that the tree will fit in. Weathered and water stained, rotting and beaten, then and only then will the "tree" be judged for what IT is. (I do understand and respect the skills of good presentation, but I think a lot of people would be surprised how the best tree in their garden would stack up to a world class tree without all the trimming... like the hot babe on the runway, I'll bet the flaws tend to show up when the makeup and designer clothes come off!)

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The presentation is very much a part of the entirety of the art. I would not want to see training boxes in a world class show... or a local show.

Random User

Reaction score
The point is, that the exorbitant cost of "the right pot", placement at the show, political motivations of the judges, etc. are huge barriers to entry for the 99.5 % of the people who are into bonsai.

But the majority of my post was about design; with what you have, in the part of the world you are in, with the skills and knowledge you possess, and what nature provides you.

But I guess I have to agree with you to some degree... I suppose at my age, I wouldn't want to see naked runway models either.

Top Bottom