What the hell did I just do???

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Good luck with these. I haven’t had very good luck keeping them happy in pots over years. If I had to guess why, I’d say the roots are sensitive to getting dry, and the canopies tend to shed water. Also, they’re very sensitive to freezing...much more in a pot than in the ground. That said, I did chop 3 fatties in the yard back to 6” tall to try again.?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Good luck with these. I haven’t had very good luck keeping them happy in pots over years. If I had to guess why, I’d say the roots are sensitive to getting dry, and the canopies tend to shed water. Also, they’re very sensitive to freezing...much more in a pot than in the ground. That said, I did chop 3 fatties in the yard back to 6” tall to try again.?
Yes, I remember the big yaupon you dug, styled, and subsequently lost years down the road. I'm hoping getting these into good soil will prevent that. They actually saw more cold in my yard last year right after being collected then they ever did this year. I'm not one for babying particular trees, so they won't see special treatment. With that being said, most of my smaller trees get put on the ground if the forecast say temps will be in the mid 20's F or lower. I suspect they'll be fine with that.

Good luck with the new crop!

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
My wrist is finally strong enough to move the big boy to the Redneck Photo studio and I had a few moments to do so this am. These have all grown well this year and been wired and cut back several times. I'm really liking the big guy right now and have 2 different fronts to consider. As far as the shohins are concerned, the triple trunk is moving along, though I need to carve some next spring and the tallest trunk may get shortened a bit. The Rhino is doing well, too, but it currently has competing apexes that will need to be remedied...
IMG_3314.jpgIMG_3315.jpgIMG_3316.jpgIMG_3317.jpgIMG_3319.jpgIMG_3320.jpgIMG_3321 (1).jpgIMG_3323.jpg

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
My wrist is finally strong enough to move the big boy to the Redneck Photo studio and I had a few moments to do so this am. These have all grown well this year and been wired and cut back several times. I'm really liking the big guy right now and have 2 different fronts to consider. As far as the shohins are concerned, the triple trunk is moving along, though I need to carve some next spring and the tallest trunk may get shortened a bit. The Rhino is doing well, too, but it currently has competing apexes that will need to be remedied...
View attachment 263423View attachment 263424View attachment 263425View attachment 263426View attachment 263427View attachment 263428View attachment 263429View attachment 263430
Hi Dave
Nice progress, glad to hear your wrist is continuing to improve.
As to a front, i prefer the fourth picture from the top. Seems to balance the nebari, base flow and create more interest with the main structure of the tree!
Great to have the options, nice material!

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Those are sweet, Dave. We don't have this species on the west coast but the ones people on your side find are great. They look like Olives to me.

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thanks for sharing the updates. I've been on a yaupon holly collecting spree the past few months. It's amazing to find 20+ year material laying on the street ripe for the taking. I'm up to about 20 or so most all with 6" or more bases. My trouble is sorting out the apexes since they almost all have multiple leaders. I'm following your progress and taking notes!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks for sharing the updates. I've been on a yaupon holly collecting spree the past few months. It's amazing to find 20+ year material laying on the street ripe for the taking. I'm up to about 20 or so most all with 6" or more bases. My trouble is sorting out the apexes since they almost all have multiple leaders. I'm following your progress and taking notes!
o_Oo_Oo_O

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I hope you have better luck with these than I do. They grow crazy in the landscape here, and yet I haven't managed to ever keep one alive in a pot for more than 4-5 years. They are definitely far more sensitive to freezing and drying out in a pot than in the ground.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I hope you have better luck with these than I do. They grow crazy in the landscape here, and yet I haven't managed to ever keep one alive in a pot for more than 4-5 years. They are definitely far more sensitive to freezing and drying out in a pot than in the ground.
We've just entered year 3 with these and they're all breaking dormancy and growing strongly right now. I'll get a few more recent pics of each up later this week.

Pj86

Yamadori
Reaction score
Nice, flowers. They look like male flowers, I wonder if any of the others are female flowers. Would be extra nice to have some berries on it.

Top Bottom