What the what...is it?

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I agree. Definitely diseased and dangerous. Wouldn't want it ruin your collection. Best send it to me up here in New Hampshire

;):p:p:D:D:cool:

It is cool enough that if I had it, I would probably find a way to keep it happy but separated from my other trees, at least until I could figure out if it really was a disease or if it was just a weird mutant.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Sorry for the late reply- been away for a while, details too complicated/confusing to bother with.

My response to this "bonsai"??? "Man, you must be putting me on ..." It's really a bit too tame and traditional to spark much interest in me - a dime a dozen in my collection. And what in the world is that green stuff poking out on several of the more recent pictures - living tissue of something??? Sheesh!

God said to Abraham, "Kill me a son."
Abe said, "Man, you must be putting me on."
God said, "No."
Abe said, "What?!"
God said, "You can do what you want Abe, but, the next time you see me coming you'd better run."
And Abe said, "Well, where you want this killing done?"
And God said, "Out on Highway 61... "

(Dylan, in case you don't know.)
Lol...you lost me along the way...but it has more green stuff now poking through. But yes...not much to go on. Lol

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
its a reputable seller and the other stock looks legit- should be fine. I do understand what you're saying though. I've taken more risks than I should have adding new trees.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
It is cool enough that if I had it, I would probably find a way to keep it happy but separated from my other trees, at least until I could figure out if it really was a disease or if it was just a weird mutant.
I think it was removed from the ground. Roots cut away to tidy it up. It has fine roots as well if you look at it closely. It's to quirky to not give it a go. It's sharing a bench with my ficus indoors with night temps down cold. Going back outside tomorrow. Will be more careful with it...but I'm not overly concerned. I clean all my tools between material. Have since gall in landscape once. It's budding out more while under lights indoors. It was rarely cheap material...so, I don't feel I would be out much.
its a reputable seller and the other stock looks legit- should be fine. I do understand what you're saying though. I've taken more risks than I should have adding new trees.
Denise...another on a FB group has had good success with material from this seller. So there is that. ?. Exposed root...I'm a sucker for. Texture on bark...reeled me in.

Melospiza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
This looks an Olive (Olea, not sure if Bucida produce burls) burl to me. They can be carved off and rooted. Very interestng and unique specimen.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
This looks an Olive (Olea, not sure if Bucida produce burls) burl to me. They can be carved off and rooted. Very interestng and unique specimen.
I believe if not mistaken...location of this tree was from an area where @Adair M got was it mission olive? So could have been misidentified by seller. (((Shrugs))) Time will tell. Thanks though...it is quirky for certain.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This looks to me like a piece of surface root. That happened to have some downward growing roots. When it was dug up, it was potted high, so that the downward growing roots remained exposed.

The top will sprout.

Knowing Darlene, she’ll keep it potted high.

A “more sensible” person, would score around the bottom of the “trunk” and bury it a bit, and new roots will emerge around the perimeter of the “trunk”, creating a sumo trunk. But Darlene likes weird things, and exposed roots, so, she’ll take the path less travelled and create some monster from the bog thing that in 10 years will become even more gnarley once those roots bark up!

Darlene, once the roots holding the trunk up get a little stronger, I’d find a way to tilt it so it has some movement. The roots gotta be strong, though, olive wood is heavy, so that trunk is going to be heavy.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
This looks to me like a piece of surface root. That happened to have some downward growing roots. When it was dug up, it was potted high, so that the downward growing roots remained exposed.

The top will sprout.

Knowing Darlene, she’ll keep it potted high.

A “more sensible” person, would score around the bottom of the “trunk” and bury it a bit, and new roots will emerge around the perimeter of the “trunk”, creating a sumo trunk. But Darlene likes weird things, and exposed roots, so, she’ll take the path less travelled and create some monster from the bog thing that in 10 years will become even more gnarley once those roots bark up!

Darlene, once the roots holding the trunk up get a little stronger, I’d find a way to tilt it so it has some movement. The roots gotta be strong, though, olive wood is heavy, so that trunk is going to be heavy.
Adair...glad I tagged you. I needed your narrative more than you know! Yes...you know me to well. Thanks for the heads up on tilting and such. ?

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
If you cut off the one branch in the middle, it could be a giraffe, or an ostrich ;).

Last edited:

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Chugging along, pushing more buds and growth. ? it gets in the 60's at night...and 70's during the day. I mist it periodically to help the buds not to dry out under the light which is on 18 hours. My ficus is also chugging along seemingly happy, and you can see behind this olive. So that sumo will join the bench come spring for sure. With no worries.
image.jpg

Top Bottom