What the what...is it?

amatbrewer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Seriously in keeping with the quirky weird of this piece. If anyone has a direction to take it further ...would love to hear it.
I am a fan of odd and quirky, and like this tree, but seeing its potential is beyond me. Would love to have it, but glad I don't have to figure out how to style it. ;-)
My only thinking is that it is already quirky enough, adding too much to that (aka a "tail") might push it over the edge into kitchy (tacky?) if you are not careful. I am thinking styling the foliage in a more subdued way (broom? elevated raft?) and let its quirks speak for them selves.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I am a fan of odd and quirky, and like this tree, but seeing its potential is beyond me. Would love to have it, but glad I don't have to figure out how to style it. ;-)
My only thinking is that it is already quirky enough, adding too much to that (aka a "tail") might push it over the edge into kitchy (tacky?) if you are not careful. I am thinking styling the foliage in a more subdued way (broom? elevated raft?) and let its quirks speak for them selves.
I thought more like a clump in styling...but since the trunk is all wiggly, raft would possibly be a better thought process in this tree. So a tamed canopy and allow the bones not fight the overall style. Yes...that could work. Do I add movement to the branches? Because there is none really in the roots? Good point of view! Thanks for offering it.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
So I have pondered a cascading branch...but which side to cascade? This side makes me think it has a tail.
View attachment 224382
This is the first picture of this tree where I can see... (it's not a potato) joking, it was a matter of bad pictures?... and I can see some lines.
You're right, if cascading I'd grow something to move entire picture to the left.
This is a trunk line I'd follow
20190123_115350_20190123195907769.jpg... maybe to create a canopy like this...
20190123_115350.jpg... or. move it all more to the left, first branch longer and more cascading with a smaller top part. Maybe potting it higher and higher slowly and adding some movement to those roots could help too.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
This is the first picture of this tree where I can see... (it's not a potato) joking, it was a matter of bad pictures?... and I can see some lines.
You're right, if cascading I'd grow something to move entire picture to the left.
This is a trunk line I'd follow
View attachment 224394... maybe to create a canopy like this...
View attachment 224395... or. move it all more to the left, first branch longer and more cascading with a smaller top part. Maybe potting it higher and higher slowly and adding some movement to those roots could help too.
I like your virtual of the small cascade branch...and high apex. Thanks for taking the time with it. I'm so confused with the roots. How delicate they are...and such. I have no idea what is below that substrate. Assuming recently potted when it came to me. With it only having buds...and no real foliage. So I don't plan on messing with the roots for a bit.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have no idea what is below that substrate. Assuming recently potted when it came to me. With it only having buds...and no real foliage. So I don't plan on messing with the roots for a bit.
Definitely not now, I can only agree.

Crawforde

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I would keep it weird. Let the 764D089A-48D2-4EDD-825C-5AE767A5528A.jpegtrunks grow bare for a bit, then let it grow a canopy.

Nanuk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
The first time I looked at that thing I thought it was hideous. Now it is starting to grow on me a bit.
It does still look like something from a 60's horror movie but I do like it.

As far as a direction to go in, I don't have a clue.

Thanks for sharing the pictures, I've never seen anything quite like it.

??

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I hadn't seen that thread yet. ? I thought BVF was hungry and missed dinner.
Ha! I actually did miss dinner for my son’s soccer tourney. They won their bracket, so one more game tomorrow afternoon. No Bonsai for me. Hopefully I’ll get dinner though. This diet makes it tricky sometimes.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Found the info on this pot...a runner up in a couple years. So instead of digging through posts adding info here for it
Gayle Fiato of New York pot. Wood-fired pot with great coloration. Very adaptable. Exterior measurements of 3.25 x 4 x 1.75 inches.

Attachments

• image (25)~2.jpg
    image (25)~2.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 20
  • image (26)~2.jpg
    image (26)~2.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 20
Top Bottom