What to do with this Itoigawa Shimpaku

jazvessels

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I got this juniper at a Dallas Bonsai Society Auction. Itoigawa Shimpaku. it is obviously a forest style but it looks all gangly. It probably has not been tended to in a couple years. I would like some ideas on what to do with this. Should I break i up into individuals. Can I cut them short, about half their length, Will they back bud?
itogawa shimpaku.jpg

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I would try to get them stronger, because they look a little weak to me.
As for separating, I'd remove the right two trees and grow those individually and while you're at it center the remainder. Could be a nice forest.

But the sparse foliage and small tufts on each branch make me think it's not in the best health. Growing hard for a year or more could induce some backbudding.

I know that that Jason guy from youtube does hard cuts on shimpaku, and he gets buds everywhere. But when I remove 60% of a juniper, I get nothing. So I'm not sure how he does it.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I would get the whole forest healthy first and growing for yourself first. Then, have at least a full season, or more, of stable health and growth before taking any of the trees apart. During the health time you can explore what you might like to do with the trees. I like the five trees but not their current positions which seem to form a fan shape with a hole in the middle. If mine, I’d be inclined to straighten them up some toward the middle and move a couple trees into the hole created in the current middle. Straightening them up some may resolve that hole in my view though.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I'm with @Tieball , just let this clump grow for at least one year. Looking at the potting mix, it looks recently repotted and recently pruned. If you can, ask previous owner what work has been done the last 2 years. Let this group grow for a year without repotting, and without significant pruning. Be sure to rotate the pot frequently, so sun gets to all sides of the composition. Take photos, make drawings, over the course of the year contemplate various options.

Wiring is the least stressful thing we do, if an obvious idea strikes, wire it up. Wiring can be done pretty much anytime, though best to avoid periods of most active growth. So late spring is bad for wiring.

ragenmoan

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Maybe make a raft style forest group. Wire the 2 little trees on the left into the soil and more towards the rear left side of the group. Wire the small middle tree into the soil and towards the back. The open space creates a nice opening into the forest. The smaller trees add depth to the group. Wire the remaining trees straight. Maybe fan them out or lean towards the side for wind affect. Repot the entire group towards the front edge of an oval pot.

I started on something very similar. I have since moved the little tree a bit more to the right, rotated the entire group 180 degrees and flared out the group a little more. Planning to put into a oval pot in the spring.

IMG_8076[1].JPGIMG_8080[1].JPG

Attachments

• IMG_8076[1].JPG
    IMG_8076[1].JPG
    226 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_8080[1].JPG
    IMG_8080[1].JPG
    233.1 KB · Views: 27

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Potential exists here. AFAIS several boringly straight trunks need bending. Move small shaded/crowded trunks into Sunlight for survival. Otherwise follow advice to grow 1-2 years to strengthen☺️.

Top Bottom