Itoigawa Shimpaku Redemption

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
All the energy is in the foliage, don't trim any green off this season and it will fuel tons of new root growth. No expert, but I never killed a juni

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Done, I chose this front and angle because it showed the best base when I removed the top layer till I got to where the base flared. Additionally it has cascade / semi cascade bones already set , so I can eventually cut it back ina. Few years and keep the r tighter foliage to the tree. The base also allows for nice twisting shari to be carved in future as well. Now It will settle and grow
FAC398AD-FB86-4992-A816-6F5D53D58B7D.jpeg
39DE8679-B8A1-4A6C-8551-B933082FF613.jpeg

Last edited:

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Cut the bottom branch off … it only had one strong branch in that front photo the other back branches were shaded out by the sun so I cut it off and used to make some jin and shari works that’s all for now
49DF38CD-7723-429E-9C1C-3E1F686E915A.jpeg
9C8F17E7-9756-4D38-B79B-96BEA0207FBB.jpeg
Over time , I want to widen the shari and strip it down. But besides that keep the foliage growing up top strong.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Can I just say, really nice what you have done there?

Of course not! I can always find some nits to pick, ,if you are so explicitly asking for input. This does not negate the, really nicely done though!

Strong windy trunk => branches must twist too.
I *think* the two branches on top could benefit from a little more movement, and bringing the left up a little, so you have visual space to the main trunk below could help. (Note, these two almost look like bar branches).

The cascading branch is straightin comparison the the rest of the trunk. Maybe you can make the movement a little stronger?
1693164150873.png

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Eventually I think your tree will look better if it is a little simpler.
E9F882B3-1A9E-42EA-81E8-A6102A4E1ED2.jpeg
Originally I wanted to remove the bottom branch, but it actually has some movement. I can see this in a crescent pot if this ends up being the final planting position.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Can I just say, really nice what you have done there?

Of course not! I can always find some nits to pick, ,if you are so explicitly asking for input. This does not negate the, really nicely done though!

Strong windy trunk => branches must twist too.
I *think* the two branches on top could benefit from a little more movement, and bringing the left up a little, so you have visual space to the main trunk below could help. (Note, these two almost look like bar branches).

The cascading branch is straightin comparison the the rest of the trunk. Maybe you can make the movement a little stronger?
View attachment 505476
Yes exactly what I want .. thank you, please tear me to shreds. Spit me out and let me suffer

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Eventually I think your tree will look better if it is a little simpler.
View attachment 505477
Originally I wanted to remove the bottom branch, but it actually has some movement. I can see this in a crescent pot if this ends up being the final planting position.
Oooh I never thought of it that way.. yeah the top branches cascading do not have the best movement but bottom branches definitely has good movement already. Thank you for the input I appreciate it.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Okay so I tweaked the left branch a bit the foliage is bending up and down then the palm of the branches is facing the opposite way. I put some movement further down on the bottom cascade branch.
The top branch section that is straight unfortunately cannot be bent without totally redoing the wire. But there is a branch on the opposite side growing out right before that straight section that I may cut back to in the future.
So perhaps I can develop the lower branch more and eventually cut the apex back.. if that doesn’t evolve better, the bottom branch eventually . See this is the type of feedback I crave. Thank you.
IMG_4094.jpeg

Top Bottom