Itoigawa Shimpaku Redemption

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
If this one was on my bench, I might try using a jack to compress the trunk curves closer together… not sure how far the deadwood extends up the trunk- that complicates the procedure a bit as deadwood doesn’t bend😬. Still, tightening up the curves and bring the canopy back closer to the trunk base would be an improvement. I also agree that you need more movement in the branches- updownsidetoside😉

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Okay so I tweaked the left branch a bit the foliage is bending up and down then the palm of the branches is facing the opposite way. I put some movement further down on the bottom cascade branch.
The top branch section that is straight unfortunately cannot be bent without totally redoing the wire. But there is a branch on the opposite side growing out right before that straight section that I may cut back to in the future.
So perhaps I can develop the lower branch more and eventually cut the apex back.. if that doesn’t evolve better, the bottom branch eventually . See this is the type of feedback I crave. Thank you.
View attachment 505488
Oh okay you mean like this?
IMG_4094.jpeg

snowman04

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Being a newb I'm confused by the speed in which this is taking place. I thought Bonsai was about patience... Of course, I 'm an old guy so I want to see this thing come to the end!😁😁😁

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Being a newb I'm confused by the speed in which this is taking place. I thought Bonsai was about patience... Of course, I 'm an old guy so I want to see this thing come to the end!😁😁😁
I’m just taking advice for future lol … minor tweaks don’t hurt. And if you wire correctly it doesn’t really run the branches because you’re bending the wire not the branch

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Eventually I think your tree will look better if it is a little simpler.
View attachment 505477
Originally I wanted to remove the bottom branch, but it actually has some movement. I can see this in a crescent pot if this ends up being the final planting position.
What about something like this?? Crescent rock

Attachments

• IMG_4515.jpeg
    IMG_4515.jpeg
    142.4 KB · Views: 10
Top Bottom