What you DON'T want to find under your bonsai tree shelf...

Jo Ann

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Morning Everyone,

Guess I can add my 2 horror stories here too. Years ago I too was bit by a Black Widow while sleeping in my bed, I didn’t feel a thing. All I know is as the day progressed I rather quickly began to feel extremely sick. Then from my waist down my legs had the most painful cramping and tingling burning sensation I’ve ever felt in my life. I went to the ER were they found a tiny bite on my lower calf. I spent 3 of the most painful days of my life in the hospital. After returning home I inspected my bed an sure enough there it was dead I guess I had rolled over on it the surprising thing was it was pretty small. Hard to believe how such a small creature could cause so much pain.

A couple of weeks ago I decided to do some work on a ficus I have sitting on a grow table by my back porch. The tree is extremely bushy and quite thick with leaves also it was around 9:30 at night. Now normally I don’t like to work on my trees or do anything for that matter that late in the evening but because of my work schedule lately I thought I better jump on it or it will never get done. So I turned on the back porch light and go out and start looking at the tree with my face close up too the tree. After a few minutes of a close up inspection I realize I have a tiny face of a snake staring back at me,(we were only a few inches apart), yes I screamed a little bit from surprise and ran too tell who ever would listen too me. So I go back out there looking and kinda shaking the tree hoping the visitor is gone. But the little voice in my head said it’s not gone even though I could not see it. I brought the tree inside the kitchen were there was better light to work with and sure enough there it was. It was slightly longer then a pencil and about that thick. I believe it was orangey colored. It was a pretty little snake. I didn’t want to hurt it so with the aid of my husband we captured it and placed it in a towel and released it back in the jungle behind were we live.

I just would like to add that because of my bad experience with the black widow, I have not become a crazed spider killer. This incident was 23 years ago. I too am not a big fan of 8 legged animals, they give me the creeps too but I’m not on a mission to squish everyone in sight. The spiders I find living in my plants outside I leave alone and only aggressively attack the ones who get inside my living space. The same I feel for snakes, I don’t want to be bitten by one but I think there interesting animals and quite pretty at times so if I see one I don’t call out the hunting party too kill it I just let it go its own way.

Jo Ann

Top Bottom