What's going on in Smokes NEW BACKYARD

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
While many are now talking about the Ebihara method, Keppler was doing his own method without the stupid board and in a showable pot while building nebari. I will call it the Keppler method. I think the nebari is looking pretty damn good after 21 years.
I am sorry but if you think that is comparable to what is done with the Ebihara method I gues syou might have to look up the results of that method.

The nebari is not bad. But it is not what I would expect after an experienced bonsai grower cared for this, in a pot, for 21 years. Sorry.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I am sorry but if you think that is comparable to what is done with the Ebihara method I gues syou might have to look up the results of that method.

The nebari is not bad. But it is not what I would expect after an experienced bonsai grower cared for this, in a pot, for 21 years. Sorry.
🍿🍿🍿🍿

giphy.gif

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Trident repot. This tree was purchased in 2002. Long story but I got the tree and started to do my thing. I planted this tree for decades in a very shallow pot tied in hard and no soil under the roots. While many are now talking about the Ebihara method, Keppler was doing his own method without the stupid board and in a showable pot while building nebari. I will call it the Keppler method. I think the nebari is looking pretty damn good after 21 years. The root base was moved down about three inches. Pot by Kakuzan.
I do the same basic thing with all my maples that I want better nebari (and flair) on, just plant in a wide shallow pot and let er rip! Works every time.

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I do the same basic thing with all my maples that I want better nebari (and flair) on, just plant in a wide shallow pot and let er rip! Works every time.
I tried and the trees barely stay alive down here. I will have to repot the one still alive back to a deeper pot.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Read the whole story. Look at all that was cut away from the butt of this tree and the year done. I won't live long enough to build a plate down there, and frankly some of them are just plain ugly, impressive yes, but not my cup of tea. I would love for anyone to post any tree of Ebihara, or any of the growers in Japan with plate like nebari and explain exactly how long it takes to develop a plate like that. I would love to hear from the grower, not guesses, not pictures, I've seen many. Some of those trees may be thirty or fourty years in training.

I just want something respectable, and I feel it is. After looking at all the pictures, and how it got here, I think its pretty good.

Last edited:

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This ones for sale at a Japanese auction site for $7000.00 starting bid. I've seen it go to 15,000.00 and then show up again the next week. I guess it didn't meet the reserve.

Attachments

• i-img1200x984-1667101285k1avob383891.jpg
    i-img1200x984-1667101285k1avob383891.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 152

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I tried and the trees barely stay alive down here. I will have to repot the one still alive back to a deeper pot.
I think if the tree is planted hard against the bottom, even if it's a deeper pot it would still work to some extent.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I think the nebari is looking pretty damn good after 21 years. The root base was moved down about three inches. Pot by Kakuzan.
I appreciate what people accomplish with ebihara. However anything taken to an extreme can defeat the original purpose. I like your nebari because it reminds me of a large tree in nature. I do not even mind the crossing roots... because they look natural. It looks very organic and not contrived. Those perfect radial pie-pan nebaris that I see on some Japanese maples start to become a distraction to the eye - it's all you see when you view the tree.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I appreciate what people accomplish with ebihara. However anything taken to an extreme can defeat the original purpose. I like your nebari because it reminds me of a large tree in nature. I do not even mind the crossing roots... because they look natural. It looks very organic and not contrived. Those perfect radial pie-pan nebaris that I see on some Japanese maples start to become a distraction to the eye - it's all you see when you view the tree.
I agree.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just want something respectable, and I feel it is. After looking at all the pictures, and how it got here, I think its pretty good.
Oh it is. But disfaming the method of one well respected bonsai grower and then pretty much claiming yours is better is something else than creating a respectable tree over 2 decades. But never mind me. You have been working on this tree longer than I have been growing bonsai. I know nothing in comparison.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Oh it is. But disfaming the method of one well respected bonsai grower and then pretty much claiming yours is better is something else than creating a respectable tree over 2 decades. But never mind me. You have been working on this tree longer than I have been growing bonsai. I know nothing in comparison.
Just keep at it, you'll get it when the times right.

Top Bottom