What's your dream tree?

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There is a tree in @MACH5 ‘s garden pictures that I love. Shame I’m too far away to sneak in and admire it up close 😂😂

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There is a tree in @MACH5 ‘s garden pictures that I love. Shame I’m too far away to sneak in and admire it up close 😂😂
Judging from what I saw when I met him, I would guess you would be welcome to visit!

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have a soft spot for this tree

Attachments

• mario71.jpg
    mario71.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 45

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The trend today is to have it a bit more centered. This one is “old school“. The reason for potting more centered is to help the roots stay even all around.

Here is a picture of the tree as it was on the cover of International Bonsai magazine in 1980:

View attachment 320743

When comparing the 1980 image to the current one it appears that it is more centered than it used to be.

That image of a Zelkova has been imprinted on my brain for 40 years. For me, it’s the image of a “perfect Zelkova”, and mentally, whenever I see any broom style tree, I subconsciously compare it to this one. I have yet to see a better one.
Ironically, I have now obtained a pretty nice Zelkova!
3BF48262-A76A-4075-9527-B5DD2B044E93.jpeg

And as you can see, it is planted more in the center of the pot, just barely off center.

berzerkules

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just got started on this growing trees in pots thing and seeing some of those big gnarly muscle trunk honbeams was a turning point for me. They just look and mean. I don't know how a tree looks like it could beat up other trees but but hornbeams look like bullies. My dream tree would look like it could beat up your tree.

I also want a nice natural looking birch like I see everyday. I love those trees. Walking through an all birch forest just feels different, it's like home.

Last edited:

waydeo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A nice maple or elm or any tree that doesn't die (or me inadvertently killing). Lol

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
The Pitch Pine that was too embedded in the rock that I couldn’t collect this spring but it is a beautiful natural literati. So again my thirst for old Pitch Pine is never ending. I also admire a good Ponderosa Pine , Spruce ,Larch, Persimmon , JRP/JBP and American Hornbeam. I think I have good examples of those natives in my collection. But there is also more time and skill and ones to discover and collect out there. But I truly admire Zach Smiths A Hornbeam , and Dan Robinsons Pitch Pine, Bob Mahler Pitch Pine(3 trees) clump is one of my favorites as well . I’ve seen an awesome Larch at a private collection in NY that was carved , it was collected with or by David Easterbrook

Last edited:

Ming dynasty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Ah my dream tree has always been one of the African acacias. A big gnarly old Monkey/Black monkey thorn, Camel thorn, Paperbark, Knob thorn, Ana tree, Blue hook, Three thorn, Fever tree...the list goes on. Don't matter which...just a big old African acacia that is grown in it's natural style.
Anyone of these will do me.

View attachment 320967
I have quite a few trees that i'm trying to grow in the umbrella style...not easy.
LoL, that used to be the first style I considered when I contemplated the styling of any tree. I'm getting better lately though...I discovered there is other styles to 😂
Can you grow them in the US, specifically southeast.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Gasp .. stunning, how does it like it In Georgia .. what happened to that round training pot!!
I stuck a collected Virginia Pine literati in there.

i have to baby the Ezo. I only let it get 1/2 day sun, so I open a patio umbrella over it. And I make sure it always gets lots of water! It is, however, in a fast draining soil mix. But, I never let it “dry out”.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
You know what’s funny, the ghlenni in my last post was one that Doug imported and was in quarantine at Brussel’s. Now look at the tree in the background to the left. That’s your spruce next to it!
View attachment 321520
God damn I love both your and @Brian Van Fleet Ezo spruce .. I bet they don’t import those trees anymore.

Top Bottom