When is juniper grafting time?

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Was the question stupid? Is there no "general rule" that applies to MOST junipers?
The original tree was in question and COULd be Virginia.

But I do not KNOW and it was not identified when I bought it.

And this is a picture. And the tree looks better now so maybe someone can identify it.
BUT....one limb did NOT take an attempted graft of a sprig of foliage and I think I wiill have to plan to either graft the limb being taken off in the spring or even maybe have to graft the entire cut off limb on to the trunk.

http://www.bonsainut.com/threads/im-trying-lord-knows-i-am-but.24723/

thomas22

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't have a ton of experience grafting but did one last year so I did some research. If you are scion grafting with the best time in California is around February. If you plan to approach graft then the best time to graft is a little more forgiving. I would say early to mid spring would be a good time.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I haven't had any luck with scion grafting on ERC. The bark is very thin would be my guess as to why my scions didn't take. I haven't tried to approach graft one so I'd be interested in seeing some results. Spring would be my preference for grafting one.

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Where I am (which is a similar climate to San Francisco) There are two grafting times. One is late winter/early spring, just before the buds stir. The other is late summer after growth has almost stopped but before the weather turns very cold. I prefer the later but I find you need to keep the scions protected with plastic the entire winter.

Top Bottom