When to move?

Kevster

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
So far this winter I have only had 2 light frosts that hit my trees. This is probably due to my bench location being right along side my house and now living in a rural area.
Besides that we haven't had any freezing weather. The nights do occasionally get down to the mid to high 30s and had a few days that stayed in the high 30s but for the most part nights and days are 40-50*F. Hell this week the days are in the high 50s and this weekend in the 60s.

Normally it is cold this time of year for me and most of my trees have been in my shed since Thanksgiving.

Does anyone know if it would be ok to put them in storage now or should I just wait?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Depends on what kinds of trees they are. Some species like to get hit with a couple of hard freezes before storage...Some don't. Some require longer chilling hours than others.

FWIW, I allow all my trees to get hit by at least one hard freeze and numerous frosts before storing them. If yours are still out, at this point, I'd leave them there. I'd get them on the ground ahead of this weekend's warm up to keep them cooler. Unless temps drop into the low 20's your probably OK (depending on species).

We're only beginning winter. Even though it's been pretty mild here, I would not bank on this weather continuing. Assuming it will remain mild is not a good thing for your trees.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
We wintered our trees and have to relocate them to a more shady area (virtually no or little sun) as the winter here has warmed up so much. They are all hardwoods, conifers, and fruit trees common in these parts but we do not want them to "push" in case winter decides to finally arrive. It is a bit crazy as they already have had 3-4 hard frosts and been covered in snow 2-3 days a couple times but now they appear to think it is spring :confused: If the warming trend continues they will get "watered" with ice in the new location...

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Mice have already found homes probably

Does anyone know if it would be ok to put them in storage now or should I just wait?

I don't recall where I read this action plan...but...the author said putting trees in the shed after winter settles in well is safer in one way as the mice and other critters have already found other accomodations for the winter. However, I always place some of that mouse bait in a triangle shaped box out for the socialite mouse that comes home late and is looking for a nicer place to stay for the rest of winter...and the bait and boxes always seem to get consumed for about a week (in January)...then no more.

My storage area, only for the trees that need storage, is in the garage. My trees go in about the middle to end of December.

Top Bottom