Where do you work on trees? Need ideas, inspiration for “studio”.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Was hoping to see some more work areas and ideas.
Picture a dirty moss covered table made out of particle board and 2by4s. That's mine. It sits outside near my trees. I move it out back for winter to be used to put bird seed on. A dual purpose all season piece of crap that has another year of life left in it.

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
A few pix of the bonsai cave, as the kids call it.

6969F347-5906-46EB-A7FB-4009759D6A37.jpeg 9FB07AE1-65C4-49B9-B313-CF571DAD7CC8.jpeg 4B02362A-519D-4A11-87C7-44E960D0112A.jpeg
Not sure my electric would pass code, but it works.

And my youngest, who is jealous that “all you do is take pictures of trees, Daddy, what about me?”

D8C4B6BB-D4E3-4097-BF35-5B0D35763FFA.jpeg

SantaFeBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
I like your space. I would consider putting a turn table or bench in the middle so you can work and move around larger trees, and have tools and wire within reach on the existing perimeter benches.

I have a home office/studio that I work in, but always enjoy working outside. If it’s a tedious task like pulling needles or unwiring, I may bring a tree upstairs and work on it while the TV is on in the background.
View attachment 166892 View attachment 166893

Dude, you're working over a Persian rug! Does the cat get blamed after the rmj's get their turn?

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
Interesting how many (in a small sample size) have dedicated photography areas. Is this really typical or common?

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just rearranged my bonsai digs. Had my bench under a tree thought it would be nice area in the summer to work on trees. All good until leaves started dropping and birds pooped all over it. So now I am on the side yard slab.
20171118_170205.jpg
20171118_170245-3024x2268.jpg
20171118_170156.jpg

Timbo

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Picture a dirty moss covered table made out of particle board and 2by4s. That's mine. It sits outside near my trees. I move it out back for winter to be used to put bird seed on. A dual purpose all season piece of crap that has another year of life left in it.
LOL, one of my tables USE to have laminating over the press board...now it's a curved sponge that weighs a ton.:D
I just rearranged my bonsai digs. Had my bench under a tree thought it would be nice area in the summer to work on trees. All good until leaves started dropping and birds pooped all over it. So now I am on the side yard slab.
View attachment 167585
View attachment 167586
View attachment 167587
I like using the pond baskets also...nice and cheap. Wish i could find bigger ones.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Who has a nice work area or studio? I have a pole barn with one stall and no horses. I’ve had a single bench for nearly twenty years, but last year I cleaned out an area I was using for storage and moved into that, adding more bench space. Then I put up new shelving for pots. My “adjustable height stand” consists of two stools of different sizes. I’d originally thought to put the work bench’s down the center like an island, then decided I wanted a clear center space for an eventual real adjustable floor stand for large/tall trees.

View attachment 166870 View attachment 166871

I’m looking for pictures of what a good bonsai studio looks like. You don’t often see them. I can do anything I want with this, although it will never look more refined than a pole barn.

My barn is a treasured personal space and has seen me working on trees entire days at a time from sun up past sun down, sometimes into the small hours of the morning with just the owls, and raccoons in the hayloft, for company. Other than lack of heat, it is ideal.
This might not be feasible for you but half of my 800 sq ft house is an open area dedicated to studio space where I do bonsai, graphic art, signs and tai chi. It helps to be single.

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
LOL, one of my tables USE to have laminating over the press board...now it's a curved sponge that weighs a ton.:D

When I moved into my house 20 plus yrs ago the previous owners had left a lot of stuff, including in the barn 4 sheets of 3/4 plywood with tongue/groove short edges and a very tough 1/16 plastic lamination on one side, clearly meant for the very use I found for them. They are perfect and I’ve never seen anything like them elsewhere.

This might not be feasible for you but half of my 800 sq ft house is an open area dedicated to studio space where I do bonsai, graphic art, signs and tai chi. It helps to be single.

Everything about your life sounds wonderful! Except maybe the being single part - but I’d lived that for 50 years also. I am originally from the Elmira/Corning area, went to college in Rochester, and still love the finger lakes and Lake Ontario area in general. It is still home to me. My father and I built a small cottage near the mouth of the St Lawrence when I was in high school. So I can imagine how beautiful your space must be. You certainly produce some nice trees.

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Interesting how many (in a small sample size) have dedicated photography areas. Is this really typical or common?
I am not sure it is common but people can be pretty particular about photographing bonsai.

Timbo

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
So you sleep on your workbench? Dedication!:D

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
I am not sure it is common but people can be pretty particular about photographing bonsai.

Well it has become apparent how important and difficult it is to get a good pic. I personally somewhat dread photographing a tree I really like because the result is always so disappointing when compared to how good I think the tree looks in reality. I figure in a 30% reduction in attractiveness lol. So anything you can do to take a good pic helps.

Timbo

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Just having a white or black sheet, depending on the tree/location seems much easier on the eyes. I just try to take pics without all my junk in the background. :D

Timbo

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Falling on the floor can be high impact exercise, depending on the person. :eek:

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
My wheels turn slowly, when they turn at all, but it has occurred to me that I could actually build a sort of room inside a room where my work space is now. The area is mostly closed already on three sides, with one of the sides being a half-wall of the stable. I could close the fourth side (including a convenient door), finish the half wall, build a floor on top of the concrete, add insulation behind the sheathing top, bottom,
and sides, and finish it to any level I wanted. Heat could be a simple kerosene burner.

Hmmmmm, now that I have the idea, do I really want to do it?

So you essentially live in your studio. Sigh. Not bad.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
My wheels turn slowly, when they turn at all, but it has occurred to me that I could actually build a sort of room inside a room where my work space is now. The area is mostly closed already on three sides, with one of the sides being a half-wall of the stable. I could close the fourth side (including a convenient door), finish the half wall, build a floor on top of the concrete, add insulation behind the sheathing top, bottom,
and sides, and finish it to any level I wanted. Heat could be a simple kerosene burner.

Hmmmmm, now that I have the idea, do I really want to do it?

So you essentially live in your studio. Sigh. Not bad.
Not bad.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well it has become apparent how important and difficult it is to get a good pic. I personally somewhat dread photographing a tree I really like because the result is always so disappointing when compared to how good I think the tree looks in reality. I figure in a 30% reduction in attractiveness lol. So anything you can do to take a good pic helps.
Pics can help in the development of trees. I have a room dedicated to pics. If your tree takes a lousy image them you can study how to fix the tree. Plus while they are put away for the winter you can still enjoy them.

Top Bottom