Where the hell is Vance?

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I am sure Vans will let you know himself...BTW I think he is a softy, hiding behind a severe exterior. He he he!

Well if Vance is in fact reading this without logging in. I too would appreciate it if he would let us know what his plans are since I am trying to grow several mugos and he is the only person that is really knows about them. If he isnt going to be posting here again, it would be nice to know so people looking for information on mugos dont waste their time here any more.

He has my email address if he doesnt want to log in here.

Steve C

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Too bad to hear when people "leave" a site like this because of arguments. As a site owner (fly fishing related) myself I have seen it happen as well on my own sites. Which seems odd that people would get upset on a fly fishing or bonsai site, but it happens.

I like this site, I've learned a hell of a lot from this site in the past year. Learned a ton just from reading posts/replies from guys like Vance, Dario, and Redwood Ryan and others. Sometimes I wonder if some of you guys actually realize how much you really help guys like me (2 yr newbie still) to be honest.

Anyway with that said I'd just like to say this.....no matter how bent out of shape you may get, don't leave a site just because you have a difference of opinion with a stranger. Because there's so many people that have helped without even knowing it that leaving just takes out such a great source of help/info, just not worth it.

Anyway hope Vance comes back is all I will say.

Steve

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Vance has posted a wealth of info on Mugho's here, a quick search would benefit anyone owning this plant. Someone posted a page of all his tips collected for a download in one link here.

Besides all that I would like to see Vance back as he is just a nice unassuming guy, the kind of guy I know I could share a beer with and have a conversation.

ed

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot
Guys read the whole thread...Vance will be back...he has mechanical problems...whatever that means.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I hope his health is ok!

tmpgh

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Well, it seems that Vance is ok. With that settled, would it be fair to begin thinking about WHY so few trees get posted or commented on? I joined this forum last summer as I began with my own trees and used the threads of others as a guide for my own.

I for one, have only posted a few trees because I only have a few trees in the works. I am collecting material that I will be working this winter into next year and will make threads for each.

My thoughts as to why there is less productive traffic are as follows:

New members post trees hoping for one of two things: Experienced people will tell them step by step what to do, which annoys the experienced people, or that experienced people will tell them that they did everything properly and that they are experts already, which never happens. When the experienced folks are truthful, the new people get defensive and arguments ensue. I have been guilty of this.

Secondly, I've seen some pretty big rifts form between some of the experienced folks. Every comment either has an edge to it or is perceived as having an edge to it, so the more experienced folks can rarely give each other constructive feedback. New folks can say little more than, "wow, great tree. I hope to have one some day like that." Thus, experienced folks don't post trees.

There's also the fact that it is quite challenging for a new member here to get much traction in the community. I've posted here a good bit in the fourteen months I've been a member, but I don't know that I've been able to form any real connections or relationships with other members. That might just be an impression of mine, or something peculiar to me, but it's hard to form a community when people are so wrapped up in themselves that they aren't connecting with others.

If this post is out of place, please let me know politely and I will remove it or move it to a new thread.

bonsaiBlake

Chumono
Reaction score
Bering sea, AK Orginally from Vancover, wa
Too bad to hear when people "leave" a site like this because of arguments. As a site owner (fly fishing related) myself I have seen it happen as well on my own sites. Which seems odd that people would get upset on a fly fishing or bonsai site, but it happens.

I like this site, I've learned a hell of a lot from this site in the past year. Learned a ton just from reading posts/replies from guys like Vance, Dario, and Redwood Ryan and others. Sometimes I wonder if some of you guys actually realize how much you really help guys like me (2 yr newbie still) to be honest.

Anyway with that said I'd just like to say this.....no matter how bent out of shape you may get, don't leave a site just because you have a difference of opinion with a stranger. Because there's so many people that have helped without even knowing it that leaving just takes out such a great source of help/info, just not worth it.

Anyway hope Vance comes back is all I will say.

Steve

Not trying to highjack the thread here. I too am worried about vance and hope all is well with him.

quick question for you steve. I was a commercial tyer and rod builder for a number of years, I found wiring trees to come relativley naturally and i think it was due to the thousands of ribs, hackles, and rod wraps I did over the years. Did you have a similar experience? And whats you flyfishing site?

larlamonde

Shohin
Reaction score
Well, it seems that Vance is ok. With that settled, would it be fair to begin thinking about WHY so few trees get posted or commented on? I joined this forum last summer as I began with my own trees and used the threads of others as a guide for my own.

I for one, have only posted a few trees because I only have a few trees in the works. I am collecting material that I will be working this winter into next year and will make threads for each.

My thoughts as to why there is less productive traffic are as follows:

New members post trees hoping for one of two things: Experienced people will tell them step by step what to do, which annoys the experienced people, or that experienced people will tell them that they did everything properly and that they are experts already, which never happens. When the experienced folks are truthful, the new people get defensive and arguments ensue. I have been guilty of this.

Secondly, I've seen some pretty big rifts form between some of the experienced folks. Every comment either has an edge to it or is perceived as having an edge to it, so the more experienced folks can rarely give each other constructive feedback. New folks can say little more than, "wow, great tree. I hope to have one some day like that." Thus, experienced folks don't post trees.

There's also the fact that it is quite challenging for a new member here to get much traction in the community. I've posted here a good bit in the fourteen months I've been a member, but I don't know that I've been able to form any real connections or relationships with other members. That might just be an impression of mine, or something peculiar to me, but it's hard to form a community when people are so wrapped up in themselves that they aren't connecting with others.

If this post is out of place, please let me know politely and I will remove it or move it to a new thread.

tmpgh are you from Pittsburgh?

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Vance has posted a wealth of info on Mugho's here, a quick search would benefit anyone owning this plant. Someone posted a page of all his tips collected for a download in one link here.

ed
That was me. Do a search for "A Question for Vance Wood". He was very free with his information.

Steve C

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Not trying to highjack the thread here. I too am worried about vance and hope all is well with him.

quick question for you steve. I was a commercial tyer and rod builder for a number of years, I found wiring trees to come relativley naturally and i think it was due to the thousands of ribs, hackles, and rod wraps I did over the years. Did you have a similar experience? And whats you flyfishing site?

Sorry blake I just now saw this. I think it does help a bit since it's almost the same a palmering hackle and such. Kind'a comes naturally. I'm also a rod builder, have ran my own custom rod business since 2004 called Midwest custom fly rods. The sites I run are the flytyingforum.com and rodbuildingforum.com .

StarTurtle

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I was going through my pot collection this weekend and found something I thought might be interesting, a pot I bought at a club auction which came from Ted Guygers collection. I believe the pot is from the 1960's or 70's. I wonder if the maker was our Vance ?

Attachments

• IMG_0043.jpg
    IMG_0043.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0044.jpg
    IMG_0044.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0045.jpg
    IMG_0045.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 36

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I was going through my pot collection this weekend and found something I thought might be interesting, a pot I bought at a club auction which came from Ted Guygers collection. I believe the pot is from the 1960's or 70's. I wonder if the maker was our Vance ?

Wasn't me. As much as I would like to make my own pots I have never done so.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
It seems to me that a lot of people are cowed into not posting their efforts. Let's face it, no one likes having their weaknesses brutally examined and pilloried in public. It's unfortunate this kind of thing happens and when it happens to older members it tends to chase off the newer ones. I just call them like I see them.

When you consider that those posts that involve nailing someone's butt to the wall have far more responses than those post that actually contribute something of consequence, to those interested in bonsai, it tends to make one sad and discouraged and unwilling to contribute. Why would it be otherwise?

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
It seems to me that a lot of people are cowed into not posting their efforts. Let's face it, no one likes having their weaknesses brutally examined and pilloried in public. It's unfortunate this kind of thing happens and when it happens to older members it tends to chase off the newer ones. I just call them like I see them.

When you consider that those posts that involve nailing someone's butt to the wall have far more responses than those post that actually contribute something of consequence, to those interested in bonsai, it tends to make one sad and discouraged and unwilling to contribute. Why would it be otherwise?

I think Neli had the right idea in posting the Big Box Challenge getting everybody to think about making bonsai. Without complaining about the time of the year there is nothing that I know of that would disallow the pruning and wiring of raw material into bonsai. There is no reason it should not be done. If there is not reason not to do it why is no one posting anything?

Top Bottom