Where to get Ficus Nerifolia in Europe?

Leoparduo

Seed
Reaction score
Yeah definitely it is the less boring one of the 3. It's got a few options so I'll play around with some wire and thin it out a little.

No idea about sikkimensis, presumably it is the same thing.
And nerifolia is not what any of these are either, nerifolia is an Asian species and distinctly different as is salicifolia which it's often called too but that's an AFrican species.
Most willow leaf figs are F. salicaria and there origin is unknown. Back on page 3 of this thread there is a little history about them.

I'll have to wait and see if the cuttings strike but I'll keep it in mind for sure.
Any update on your cuttings? I’ve hunted high and low for cuttings or a plant in the UK. Nothing on eBay either, except one specimen selling for an eye watering sum 😬

Moraito

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Let try a new bump to this post. Did any of you guys had success with the cuttings? Or have any idea where to buy some? I have been unable to find any Ficus salicaria for sell. :(

IndoorBonsaiLove

Seedling
Reaction score
I am also looking for a Ficus Slicaria for a while. I live in the Netherlands and I haven't found any supplier who could send it. I really would love to expand my Ficus collection with this tree.

IndoorBonsaiLove

Seedling
Reaction score
Crespi bonsai has a variety of ficus at the Milan department, there should be nerifolia as well. 2 weeks ago they had them for sure.
Thank you for the quick response! Unfortunately I couldn't find one there.
I wouldn't mind if it would be a cutting to develop.

Reaction score
You might have to call them, from visiting I had the impression they don't put everything online that they have in the garden. They are pricey though, and most/almost all the nerifolia there has outgrown the cutting phase for at least a few years.
@ShimpakuBonsai's idea of getting it from Czech might save you big bucks.

IndoorBonsaiLove

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks for your help, you guys. €400,- or €500,- is indeed a bit too much for me. I wouldn't mind paying € 100,-, but not much more. Maybe it's just that rare in Europe that it wouldn't be possible for such a price. I think I'll just try to send them an e-mail or give them a phone call. Thanks for the advice!

Pads

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I was lucky to find 2 cuttings 6 years ago and they have grown significantly despite the loss of leaves during winters in Athens Greece. Tried to take 4 small cuttings this summer and all are fine so they seem to be very easy to propagate. Also cut a few interesting root cuttings but still no growth after 1 month.

Unfortunately not possible to send by post. Maybe someone passing from Athens can contact me for a cutting.

Attachments

• 20230825_080742.jpg
    20230825_080742.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 20230825_080846.jpg
    20230825_080846.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 20230825_080927.jpg
    20230825_080927.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 12
  • 20230825_080948.jpg
    20230825_080948.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

Ply

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
It does surprise me that not a single nursery in the EU seems to be selling small/young material of willow ficus. Given how extremely easily they supposedly propagate from cuttings. The very few I did find online were all developed trees (and expensive).

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This thread makes me sick. I thrown away tons of material that would make load of cuttings. I guess I just have to accept it. That's life!20230520_085241.jpg

Reaction score
I haven't given up searching for Willow leaf Ficus cuttings and I found some at a German website called the https://www.bonsai-fachforum.de
Today I received them. I do speak a little German, so that helps. Maybe this could help out some fellow EU people.

View attachment 514812
I can’t read or speak German. Make sure you grow those and make lots of cuttings. I would surely buy you some if care to post them by mail.

IndoorBonsaiLove

Seedling
Reaction score
The packaging they did was so professionally done, that I don't know if I'd be able to do so. They came completely undamaged. These cuttings were made quite late in the season. So they don't have a lot of roots. I hope they'll survive.

JoB

Yamadori
Reaction score
I found one on ebay, not cheap, but arrived yesterday and I am happy with it, early summer next year if it grows well I will cut it right back and try to take lots of cuttings Screenshot_20231028-195809_eBay.jpg

JoB

Yamadori
Reaction score
I found one on ebay, not cheap, but arrived yesterday and I am happy with it, early summer next year if it grows well I will cut it right back and try to take lots of cuttings View attachment 515030
I found some more here
You can change the language to english if you need too, again not cheap but better prices than I have seen until now....I have been looking for a while

Top Bottom