Where to get Ficus Nerifolia in Europe?

Pads

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I guess it all depends on the original source of the seeds, all Ficus must produce viable seeds somewhere. Yeah I get that they are not going to without the exact pollinating wasp but surely a good importer can source them.

As I said earlier I found a post elsewhere from someone who seemingly purchased and germinated some from the link I gave so I'm happy to at least give it a shot.

I checked the link you provided. Despite my extensive research I was not aware of this website or that they go by the name of "Wonderboom Fig". I guess mystery is finally solved.

Good luck with the seeds. All European members in the forum would be glad to check the progress of these so please keep us updated!

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
...Crete...
That's my next holiday destination hopefully. I wanna see some cedars and Cretan zelkovas in nature. And buy some from a local nursery if possible. I know they are protected, but are they propagated and offered for public? Are there any good nurseries or garden centres in the northwest of Crete?

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I checked the link you provided. Despite my extensive research I was not aware of this website or that they go by the name of "Wonderboom Fig". I guess mystery is finally solved.

Good luck with the seeds. All European members in the forum would be glad to check the progress of these so please keep us updated!

Named after the park it is found in South Africa it would seem.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wonderboom_(tree)

I will definitely update if I have success or failure with them, no harm in trying any way.; Just had the email confirmation they have been sent so come spring I will sow them.

That's my next holiday destination hopefully. I wanna see some cedars and Cretan zelkovas in nature. And buy some from a local nursery if possible. I know they are protected, but are they propagated and offered for public? Are there any good nurseries or garden centres in the northwest of Crete?

Totally love Crete, it is probably the one place in Europe I would happily move to tomorrow given the chance, we stayed at a place called Melidoni which is off the main tourist strip. Also it is worth the shambles of a boat trip to go to Santorini too.

Pads

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b

The cretan zelkova (Zelkova abelicea) is notoriously difficult to propagate from seed since it needs very specific conditions. I have searched extensively but I could not find one in nurseries. They were almost extinct since local shepherds cut them to make walking sticks. As you mentioned they are now protected.

They are native in high altitudes, mainly in western Crete (White mountains).You should go up to Omalos plateau at 1000m elevation where you will find the biggest population. These are pics I found from Omalos

ZE6-Z-abelicea-Omalos-Crete.jpg

5%20boschetto%20abelicea%20giganti_rid.preview.jpg

The cedars native in Crete are actually junipers (Juniperus macrocarpa and Juniperus phoenicea). You can see some amazing windswept trees growing in the sand dunes in Elafonisi, Falassarna and Chrissi island. These are also protected ecosystems.

I know for a fact that Chania Forest Nursery (goverment operated) is propagating zelkovas and junipers for reforestation. If you pay a visit you may be able to buy some for a very low cost. Maybe if you email them at dasichan@apdkritis.gov.gr you may be able to get a response. I live on the eastern side (4 hours drive away) and haven't had the chance to visit the nursery yet.

Last edited:

Pads

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Named after the park it is found in South Africa it would seem.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wonderboom_(tree)

I will definitely update if I have success or failure with them, no harm in trying any way.; Just had the email confirmation they have been sent so come spring I will sow them.

Totally love Crete, it is probably the one place in Europe I would happily move to tomorrow given the chance, we stayed at a place called Melidoni which is off the main tourist strip. Also it is worth the shambles of a boat trip to go to Santorini too.

Indeed a nice area away from tourist crowds!

bonsai-ben

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
The reason seeds are hard, is we dont know the origins of the willow leaf ficus so we cant find the wasp. CORRECT name salicifolia, any others is an error and outdated.

In the mid 1960's Joe Samuels saw the only known salicifolia from a dealer who guessed he bought it from New Guinea. It was the only one. Every other salicifolia came from it. Someone named it "The Cloud" and it stuck.

Without the native wasp to pollinate we dont get seeds. We dont even know what wasp it needs, or where to find it. It's cutting, or nothing for a salicifolia.

Full history @ http://www.bonsaimary.com/Ficus-bonsai.html

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b

bonsan

Sapling
Reaction score
Would there someone willing to participate in a project where willow leaf ficuses of reputable heritage would be shared /spread?

Something along the lines of sending rooted cuttings of willow leaf ficus in normal envelopes. Could that work?

We would have a few months time to figure things out until the temperature is right again for shipping.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The cretan zelkova (Zelkova abelicea) is notoriously difficult to propagate from seed since it needs very specific conditions. I have searched extensively but I could not find one in nurseries. They were almost extinct since local shepherds cut them to make walking sticks. As you mentioned they are now protected.

They are native in high altitudes, mainly in western Crete (White mountains).You should go up to Omalos plateau at 1000m elevation where you will find the biggest population. These are pics I found from Omalos

ZE6-Z-abelicea-Omalos-Crete.jpg

5%20boschetto%20abelicea%20giganti_rid.preview.jpg

The cedars native in Crete are actually junipers (Juniperus macrocarpa and Juniperus phoenicea). You can see some amazing windswept trees growing in the sand dunes in Elafonisi, Falassarna and Chrissi island. These are also protected ecosystems.

I know for a fact that Chania Forest Nursery (goverment operated) is propagating zelkovas and junipers for reforestation. If you pay a visit you may be able to buy some for a very low cost. Maybe if you email them at dasichan@apdkritis.gov.gr you may be able to get a response. I live on the eastern side (4 hours drive away) and haven't had the chance to visit the nursery yet.
Thank you for exhausting response, I appreciate it. If I go there I'll arrange everything in advance.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Would there someone willing to participate in a project where willow leaf ficuses of reputable heritage would be shared /spread?

Something along the lines of sending rooted cuttings of willow leaf ficus in normal envelopes. Could that work?

We would have a few months time to figure things out until the temperature is right again for shipping.
Mine are hibernating now and seem to grow much slower than in warmer climates. If I have some more cuttings/material for propagation, no problem to ship some rooted cuttings. But not sure if bare rooted in envelopes is safe enough.

bonsai-ben

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Cute story and true. ;). Google articles from 13 tea

Some in my garden are a direct cutting from The Cloud........ I'd be happy to help just cover the bullshit costs of postage.

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Alexandra you have been growing one for several years now so you know better! I am worried that it may be a little more cold sensitive compared to the indestructible benjaminas. I have placed it inside a small heated greenhouse until next spring.
For the past 5 or so years I used to move the little tree inside and put it into a self constructed hard frame covered with clear thick plastic sheet. No heating.
Each and every year it used to self defoliate and then in spring when I moved it outside it re-grew new foliage.
This year though following @AlainK suggestion I am keeping the tree outside, into the said frame and put at a location where it is protected from strong wind and can receive a little afternoon sunshine.
As of now it has not shed any single leaf! And night temperature has been as low as 4 d. C
So far so good. However, I will move the frame in and put it at the stairway later on when temp will hit lower digits.

Regarding your newly received tree, I think you should give it time to adapt, if I may suggest.
So keep it inside under lights.
Perhaps some members more experienced would chime in and offer their opinion on the issue of heating... whether it's needed or not...

Last edited:

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Neither did I find any of Zelkova or Acer creticum (sempervirens) which I've been searching too.
But as you have said the Forestry nurseries they do have Acer sempervirens. I had contacted them in the past. The problem is that one should enlist beforehand so that one can get the seedlings requested.

Unski

Seed
Reaction score

bonsan

Sapling
Reaction score
The reason seeds are hard, is we dont know the origins of the willow leaf ficus so we cant find the wasp. CORRECT name salicifolia, any others is an error and outdated.

In the mid 1960's Joe Samuels saw the only known salicifolia from a dealer who guessed he bought it from New Guinea. It was the only one. Every other salicifolia came from it. Someone named it "The Cloud" and it stuck.

Without the native wasp to pollinate we dont get seeds. We dont even know what wasp it needs, or where to find it. It's cutting, or nothing for a salicifolia.

Full history @ http://www.bonsaimary.com/Ficus-bonsai.html

This is the closest I have come to contemplating that there arent enough wasps in this world. Almost, but not quite there yet.

-Bonsan

Last edited:

Bon Sai

Mame
Reaction score
Catalonia (Mediterranean South-western Europe)
USDA Zone
9a
Yes, with BRT especially. I've tried multiple US sellers, but no one is willing to sell into EU. BRT, good scheffleras and many types of Ficus are simply unobtainable here.
What do you mean by "good" scheffleras?

I by the way bought some seeds some days ago. They are probably already in my post office.

bonsan

Sapling
Reaction score
If they are referring to Nerium oleander, it can look somewhat similar to willow-leafed figs, but it is different plant altogether.

View attachment 170709

I started out searching for "ficus neriifolia Deutschland" or something along those lines and whenever the websites stated something like "ficus neriifolia, also known as blablabla" I searched for blablabla as well and ended up with this list.

Oleanderblättrig is a direct translation of neriifolia and consists of the words "oleander" and "blättrig". The former seems to be the direct translation from latin of "nerii *"while the latter means "leafed" and thus corresponds to folia in neriifolia. Oleander seems to be used both in german and english, such as in "oleander hawk-moth" (Daphnis nerii).

Gummibaum is the German word often used for ficus (rubber tree). Oleanderblättriger Gummibaum can therefore be translated as "oleander leafed fig tree." Perhaps someone with a botanical background could pitch in regarding the botanical meaning of nerii.

-Bonsan

*http://www.payer.de/ayurveda/caraka0101114.htm

Last edited:

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Oleanderblättrig is a direct translation of neriifolia and consists of the words "oleander" and "blättrig". The former seems to be the direct translation from latin of "nerii *"while the latter means "leafed" and thus corresponds to folia in neriifolia. Oleander seems to be used both in german and english, such as in "oleander hawk-moth" (Daphnis nerii).

Oleander is believed to be from the Latin root meaning "olive like" (from the Latin "olea" for olive). Its only use is in Nerium oleander - the single species of the genus Nerium. The species was named "oleander" for its passing resemblance to the (unrelated) olive. Note that the common name for Daphnis nerii - oleander hawk-moth - has nothing to do with the moth itself, but the fact that its caterpillars feed almost exclusively on oleander bushes (which are otherwise highly toxic).

Nerifolia is Latin meaning "nerium-leafed", or "leaves like nerium oleander" :)

Four years of Latin education finally paying off with huge dividends!! :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom