Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I purchased this willow leaf in 2017.

001.JPG

This is how it looks now.

DSC_0032.JPG

Before that I took cuttings from the haircut I gave it and have these cuttings that rooted. About twelve of them.

DSC_0003.JPGDSC_0035.JPG

This year they get seperate pots and twisty trunks.

The big deal was this. These are Miniature Japanese Privits. Very hard to come by here in America or Europe.

DSC_0037.JPG
DSC_0039.JPG

The one in the sun is beginning to bud. The one in the shade....not yet. These respond well to wire and are pretty fast growers. I took a bunch of cuttings when I got these in 2017 also, the same trip as the Willow leaf.

All the cuttings rooted and now I have about 20 of them.

DSC_0004.JPGDSC_0036.JPG

These are being repotted also next week into individual pots and wire.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I purchased this willow leaf in 2017.

View attachment 225131

This is how it looks now.

View attachment 225132

Before that I took cuttings from the haircut I gave it and have these cuttings that rooted. About twelve of them.

View attachment 225133View attachment 225135

This year they get seperate pots and twisty trunks.

The big deal was this. These are Miniature Japanese Privits. Very hard to come by here in America or Europe.

View attachment 225137
View attachment 225138

The one in the sun is beginning to bud. The one in the shade....not yet. These respond well to wire and are pretty fast growers. I took a bunch of cuttings when I got these in 2017 also, the same trip as the Willow leaf.

All the cuttings rooted and now I have about 20 of them.

View attachment 225134View attachment 225136

These are being repotted also next week into individual pots and wire.
Nice little tree. I wish they grew this fast here where I live.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I remember this thread, Peter.
And trust me, Mrs. Iris Cohen knows what she talks about.
Thank you, Alexandra.
I only am trying to help those looking for willow leaf ficus here in EU.

Plantman

Seed
Reaction score
Sorry, for thread resurection (and first post at that), but does anyone now of where you can obtain these in Europe? Would really try my hand on one, but not particualarily interested in shelling out 500€ for the one at kaizen bonsai..

Tomas

Seed
Reaction score
Hi. I’ve bought my ficus on ebay from Germany. It was sold as Ficus sikkimensis. Arrived few days ago. I took few cuttings next day and some of them are loosing leaves already.5B82C59F-A112-4599-8978-D3B5B60BCFF6.jpegC33B26B6-EE29-410F-9147-E9730BAB1B27.jpegED9EDC40-8070-404F-BA45-1EA074C9C2B9.jpeg

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Some more reasonably priced ones.
Just grabbed one of them, was tempted to get all 3 of them but needed some other stuff so have at 'em.
May be worth contacting them first for delivery outside of Spain.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Even for such a small plant, if it goes for 10 €, or a reasonable price, it's a bargain because it's very rare in Europe.

Tomas

Seed
Reaction score
Mine doesn’t want to be propagated at all. The whole season of attempts and just 3 cuttings started to grow. No rooting hormones but I’ve tried soil, water, bottom heat etc. Nothing like F. benjamina or F. microcarpa.

Now I’m growing new cuttings on top of the second plastic pot. I’m trying to get them rooted in there and get some root cuttings without disturbing the root ball. It will take years though with such a slow growth.

Trying to get some longer branches on the mother plant. But there is no vigorous shoots to work with. Even though the plant spent all summer in the garden.

And one of the cuttings which is sitting in water for months now.
BE38EA1A-6CAD-4CA0-BD08-EAF807415CC0.jpeg
FC38F950-E71B-440B-8B97-173C3553DABD.jpeg
7A1E9D4A-460E-4099-8086-DB4504205D04.jpeg

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Even for such a small plant, if it goes for 10 €, or a reasonable price, it's a bargain because it's very rare in Europe.
Seems to be a fixed price of 10€ per cutting. BUT the shipping charges appear to be 20€ to anywhere in Europe outside of France which seems a little steep.

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mine doesn’t want to be propagated at all. The whole season of attempts and just 3 cuttings started to grow. No rooting hormones but I’ve tried soil, water, bottom heat etc. Nothing like F. benjamina or F. microcarpa.

Now I’m growing new cuttings on top of the second plastic pot. I’m trying to get them rooted in there and get some root cuttings without disturbing the root ball. It will take years though with such a slow growth.

Trying to get some longer branches on the mother plant. But there is no vigorous shoots to work with. Even though the plant spent all summer in the garden.

And one of the cuttings which is sitting in water for months now.
View attachment 338395
View attachment 338396
View attachment 338397
I would definitely give some rooting powder/gel a shot as you are not having much success. No harm in trying and the worst that can happen is they still faI’ll to root 😊

Tomas

Seed
Reaction score
I would definitely give some rooting powder/gel a shot as you are not having much success. No harm in trying and the worst that can happen is they still faI’ll to root 😊
I shall, eventually :) .

One more cutting is pushing the bud. This one is the first (and the only one so far) to give me some roots in water. I’ve potted it up two weeks ago.
E8B8DFB8-6FAC-44DF-952F-EF38CD83F91B.jpeg
A609E93B-1694-4F8E-B9B8-AB9EBD3D9111.jpeg

9BCD6B92-3009-4109-8015-2E673581B9FF.jpeg
The triple one in previous post will become ‘Cut and come again’ I guess. I’ll mound some soil over the “trunks” to encourage some surface roots. And I’ll harvest them without loosing trifurcation to get more new shoots. Well. That is the plan :D. The plant is way too young and too weak at the moment.

I think I’ll sacrifice the mother plant planting it in a way larger pot and let it run. For branches and roots. For air-layers and root cuttings.

Pads

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I' ve been experimenting with 2 cuttings started in early August. They were planted in perlite with rooting powder, closed in a diy humidity box for 2 months and then transfered in a small portable, heated greenhouse. They seem to be doing ok.

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ok so I have to ask, what’s the difference between Ficus Nerifolia and Ficus sikkimensis? @Starfox and @Tomas trees looks similar to me. I’m not a ficus expert.

@Starfox if you’re selling cuttings once they root I’d be interested. I need to get me some tropicals.

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
That’s the one I would have chosen from that supplier if I had to pick 😂

Yeah definitely it is the less boring one of the 3. It's got a few options so I'll play around with some wire and thin it out a little.

Ok so I have to ask, what’s the difference between Ficus Nerifolia and Ficus sikkimensis? @Starfox and @Tomas trees looks similar to me. I’m not a ficus expert.

@Starfox if you’re selling cuttings once they root I’d be interested. I need to get me some tropicals.

No idea about sikkimensis, presumably it is the same thing.
And nerifolia is not what any of these are either, nerifolia is an Asian species and distinctly different as is salicifolia which it's often called too but that's an AFrican species.
Most willow leaf figs are F. salicaria and there origin is unknown. Back on page 3 of this thread there is a little history about them.

I'll have to wait and see if the cuttings strike but I'll keep it in mind for sure.

Top Bottom