Which side do you think should be the front??

Which side of this tree do you prefer?

• Total voters

Yugen

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I'm really torn between the two. Of course there's innumerable factors that don't translate from a 2D image. If you could also tell me why you like a particular angle, I'd really appreciate it! This is my first poll so I hope I set it up right 🤞

Attachments

• DSC_2062.jpg
    DSC_2062.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_20200325_084316_720.jpg
    IMG_20200325_084316_720.jpg
    223.6 KB · Views: 151

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
The first choice is an excellent one! It has many classic elements that I like to see. (These where my thoughts upon absorbing that initial image)..

I then proceeded to view the second image, which immediately greeted my vision with a “nevermind, this one!”-type slap.

I voted for the second... the lines draw a great deal of depth (which I personally enjoy quite a bit), and tell a darker, more cryptic story...

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
This is my first poll so I hope I set it up right 🤞

Worked alright for me..

I also want to point out the humor in the semantic relationship between the words when “placing a ‘poll’ in a ‘post’”...or “posting a poll”.. now that’s something everyone can enjoy. :):):)

Calnicky

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I liked the first because of the nebari and trunk taper. Trunk seemed to lack as good a taper in image #2. Although I liked foliage better in #2 and perhaps (hard to tell) the tree was leaning toward the viewer in #2 but not so much in #1. But those things (branches and lean) can be corrected in training and repotting whereas it's harder to change nebari and taper of the trunk. Nice tree, though, with lots of potential!

james

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like front one. If it were mine, I would use front one, take off second trunk ( leave some jin) and rotate a bit to the right, lean a bit more forward and lighten foliage on the right (this tree wants to move to the left). Reason to loose second trunk (I very much like double trunks) is that they look best when their trunk lines move in same direction, not pull away from one another.

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
To me there’s too much detachment between the trunks in image 1. I like the flow and overall shape of 2. It seems to sit as more of a standalone image rather than simply a tree in a pot. Nice tree though.

Yugen

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Thank you everyone so far! You're ideas really got me out of my head!

@HorseloverFat I vibe with that. The first one is more classic and the second more rugged. Seems to me that in the second one the apex is running away to the left and it would be realllly hard to center it. It's receding off of the pot line

@Calnicky You make a strong point. I can change the foliage but change the nebari. This hemlock really resists branch movement and unfortunately no.2 hides branch movement that I dearly love and I don't think I can re arrange that anymore. As for the lean I feel like it's the opposite in real life. Pictures are weird

@james Well, that a lot to consider! Thank you for giving me a very unique point of view. If I removed the smaller trunk, you don't think the foliage would sit to high on the remainder?

@Woocash I'm with you on the detachment between the trunks. It's a weird negative space that I think I can fill better by the second orientation.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I like the idea of removing the second trunk, I think it takes away from the trunk line and the base in the first picture. Either way, nice tree!

james

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yugen,

You are correct, removing second trunk leaves tree a bit sparse at base. Tree style would be more literati. Branches would be best lightened up and brought down.

Oleg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I voted for the second photo, I think it should be negative space between the two trunks so i would get rid of the back branch. I don't like the knob the second trunk creates coming off the main trunk in the first photo so a close second would be the first photo with the second trunk removed.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Would not choose either as existing but the tree has potential in other aspects. Simply another point of view, ignore if it does not suit your taste!
Prefer view two as a front. Would remove lower branch on the right in view two. Would create a bend to bring the apex to the right and forward. Also changing the planting angle forward and a bit deeper would help in this adjustment.
This would take advantage of the existing nebari and trunk movement as well as position the foliage so it could be developed to take advantage of the natural downward flow of Hemlock in branch style and foliage positioning. The branches would need wiring more for downward sweep to hi light the natural hemlock look. One could create a jin from the lower branch when removed or one could heal the site. Hemlock heal very fast compared to most conifers. I would also remove the air roots as distracting from the flow. Over time I would plant the tree lower in the pot just a personal preference. It is difficult to judge the size of the tree in a picture, but I feel it is likely similar in size to this one. Perhaps this will illustrate something like what I am describing! It is still under development and needs the foliage lengthened in several places.

Attachments

• IMG_9558.jpeg
    IMG_9558.jpeg
    201 KB · Views: 38

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
These pictures.....
Correction....
This process doesn't really do this tree justice.

We shouldn't do this without the next deeper understanding of why we are making these decisions.

This easily fixable eye grabbing ugliness will have most people not like this front, even if it is the better front.

That orange is ugly, unnatural, and anyone that has seen cedar apple rust will certainly feel this. The large white Shari on the right frames this entire eye grabbing grossness. The eye naturally moves to the leftmore bit of Jin, which points directly at the siding seam, which points directly at that unnatural angle at the top of that cut.
Capture+_2020-05-09-08-53-08.png

You will get good opinions, but for the wrong reasons.

I'd like to fix the orange and show a view of this which is more appropriate, so people can actually feel this, but my editor isn't good.

Just removing what makes that angle unnatural can change feelings.
Capture+_2020-05-09-09-04-12.png

Fix that orange, get a better pic, and Let's see what changes!

I would like to see the small trunk to the back. It will help it look smaller. The large one seems to have a nice forward lean then too.

Sorce

Top Bottom