Which tree species root over rock?

BonsaiNaga13

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I started a sweetgum root over rock this spring, tied the roots to a rock with twine and put in a nursery pot in plain potting soil. Idk if y'all have sweetgum out in Germany but I have so many seedlings I pulled up I figured perfect time to experiment and practice/learn some new techniques

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
I’ve got a hawthorn and a blackthorn that I started in spring which I’m keen to see how they’re turning out. I think both could be great for ROR.

Actually, I think hawthorn could be great for everything. A real unsung species in my opinion.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Seiryu stone when wet has blue and grey tones with white veins, if its the real stuff. So, in my opinion, anything that would compliment the blue hues would work- a maple in a blue pot, for example, may be nice.

Gsquared

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I’ve had the best luck w Japanese maple. Trident too of course, but the JMs always seems to do better for me. The issue w tridents was the roots seem a little harder to get close in the rock. New TM roots are very succulent and crush pretty easily, so I had to let them harden off quite a bit before I would settle it onto the rock. Trident roots seem to fuse quickly if you have them close together. Always something to keep in mind when placing them. JM takes longer, but i get better results. image.jpg

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
I’m attempting it it with an Afra, no idea if it will work but I was thinking succulent=arid/desert Probably rocky soil and possible it would happen in the wild. Basically I wanted to use a fairly fast species just to try it. A cypress is certainly fast enough but cypress over rock is something I would do next to a pond as in an ground miniaturized tree probably for the visual effect. Although I do want to try cypress as an aquapanic in a large pot with fish and over a rock as the pond/river bank could make a good presentation. Along my river you’ll see trees clinging to the limestone with some regularity. Next time I remember I’ll send a pic because the more I write about cypress root over rock the more I want to do one now and I have some large boulders.... I think I may start trying a sapling on a 6-12” lime stone boulder next year when I repot!

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I happen to have 2 seedlings of cork oak. Might be an idea!
Are they winter hardy though?

If having seedlings must have place to protect do you not:confused:? About USDA zone 8 rooted IN GROUND hardy(approximately).

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I happen to have 2 seedlings of cork oak. Might be an idea!
Are they winter hardy though?
I have been told they are, up to -15°C. I have just got my first one this year. Since I don't do winter protection, I'm sure I can tell you next year. If we have a winter.

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Hm.. not sure what the question is?
I was given these. The better protected the roots are,the hardier. I would expect ROR to be more frost sensitve?
He’s saying they’ll need protection and surprised you don’t have anyway to protect them. He missed the comment about happy wife (or husband, damned PC crap lol), happy life I.E. keeping the home front happy.

Horticulturally ROR should be especially before the roots harden off. F course if you harden them early enough in the year it should work out to be pretty much the same as a tree of that hardened off roots diameter. This is purely hypothetical but reasonable and logical. I could be wrong and someone will probably correct me! 😛

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Root Over Rock. Actually relatively few species are ideal. The reason is that only a few species will fuse their roots solidly to the rock.

For example, Juniper are very slow to fuse their roots to the rock. Most of the time the juniper ROR I've seen the roots are draped over the rock but have not fused to the rock. None the less, juniper get used frequently, even though they are not the best at fusing to the rock.

Maple, especially Trident maple, will fuse beautifully to the rock. Most other maple species will too.

Ficus - of course, famous for fusing to what ever surface the seed lands on.

Pines, - in general most pines will eventually fuse to the rock. It takes much more time than Maples or Ficus, but the effect is good.

I've seen Pyracantha, there is a spectacular ROR pyracantha at the Chicago Botanic Garden. Photos below.

Azalea fuse nicely to rocks. Satsuki and kurume types.

Most members of the apple family, crap apples etc. Fuse nicely to rocks.

I've seen Thuja in the wild fused nicely to rocks. Kimura often does Chamaecyparis obtusa (Hinoki) on the rocks. ROR too.

That is all that comes to mind. I'm certain there are more, but I'm actually drawing a blank.

Key is to start the fusion while the root system is young, usually with a younger tree or with a freshly air layered tree.

DSCN2120 (2019_10_20 19_42_16 UTC).JPG
DSCN2122 (2019_10_20 19_42_16 UTC).JPG

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Root Over Rock. Actually relatively few species are ideal. The reason is that only a few species will fuse their roots solidly to the rock.

For example, Juniper are very slow to fuse their roots to the rock. Most of the time the juniper ROR I've seen the roots are draped over the rock but have not fused to the rock. None the less, juniper get used frequently, even though they are not the best at fusing to the rock.

Maple, especially Trident maple, will fuse beautifully to the rock. Most other maple species will too.

Ficus - of course, famous for fusing to what ever surface the seed lands on.

Pines, - in general most pines will eventually fuse to the rock. It takes much more time than Maples or Ficus, but the effect is good.

I've seen Pyracantha, there is a spectacular ROR pyracantha at the Chicago Botanic Garden. Photos below.

Azalea fuse nicely to rocks. Satsuki and kurume types.

Most members of the apple family, crap apples etc. Fuse nicely to rocks.

I've seen Thuja in the wild fused nicely to rocks. Kimura often does Chamaecyparis obtusa (Hinoki) on the rocks. ROR too.

That is all that comes to mind. I'm certain there are more, but I'm actually drawing a blank.

Key is to start the fusion while the root system is young, usually with a younger tree or with a freshly air layered tree.

View attachment 317698
View attachment 317699

Your post reminded me of how awesome Chojubai can look when planted over a rock.
1595433835589.png

Top Bottom